A Comparison

jgutty

I recognize that this forum is probably about installation PROBLEMS, but I am compelled to relate my new outlook on things. My windoze install was trashed, and being a bit smarter about the use of my machine, I decided to repartition and reinstall the whole thing, MDK9.1 and win 98.

I repartitioned my drives using Linux, giving Linux a greater share of the drives. Win install gave me a warning that it did not like the config of the partitions, so I decided to redo it using fdisk....man is that SLOW!

Then I spent CONSIDERABLE time reloading win98, the driver disks for my monitor, printer, scanner, usb driver, camera, inet card, smart-card reader.....rebooting everytime....sometimes twice.......then I said WTF! I had not even started installing apps!

That is as far as I got.

It took me about 45 minutes to load Mandrake 9.1 with all the office and Inet functionality I need, and another 30 minutes to automatically update all the packages to the latest available (DSL is sweet). Of course, with proper planning all of the existing user files were available immediately.

All of this easier approach was for free, all with little hassle. I admit that I have loaded MDK 9.1 several times in the past, but I have done the MS reload many times since DOS 3.1 and as of win 98, it ain't getting any better.

I must see what I need to do to get the video capture working in MDK, then I

will probably only visit windoze once a year for 'old-times sake.'

Guest Adriano

This isn't right: you should compare Mandrake with Win XP, the current OS from MS at the time mandrake 9.1 was out. For example, I could point out how I wanted to install XP on an empty disk but couldn't, because of the half assed installation disk; how it then forced me to install win 98, which would have been enough for me if it had recognized all my hardware (which it didn't: it didn't like my nVidia card); then installing XP.

After installing XP, I could tell you about the gripes of the updates system (forcing you to nurse the process, installing some packages one by one, failing to install others (an nVidia package, it fails without a reason), having to accept demeaning clauses added or modified in your EULA if you want to update Media Player, etc.

I could also talk about the basic uncertainty I feel using DSL with Win XP, and of course, there's the incessant install - reboot - repeat cycle we all know and love.

By now, you are probably asking "Why does he run XP at all?" and you are quite right to ask you that. The answer, of course, is my brother, who must use XP to play, use kazaa, Mathcad, MS PRoject, and generally because he "does not like Linux".

So, from my POV, Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2 are much, much easier to install and use than win XP.

Can you get monkey island for linux?

As far as the ms v. {place distro here} linux debate, here's my two cents. I'm still consider myself a newbie, but the more I use mdk the more I like it. The problem seems to be that a lot of people (MS users) see linux as difficult to use and that there aren't alot of programs to run ( ie games). Somehow the different Distros need to come up with an ad compaign to show the ease of use and possibilites of the linux platform. The people I talk to seem to think that Linux / Unix are still the same and are best used for servers. Here at work we use a unix server, its ran everyday/24hrs per day for the past 5 years, now they are looking at using a windows server, even though I pointed out that we all reboot our windows machines more than once a day.