Data Recovery [solved]

AussieJohn

Hi, Ken.

I have followed your advice and downloaded Gparted and burnt it to Disk. So now I have got it should I need it again in the near future.

Very good advice.

Nexus, OpenShot sure is a goodie. I came across it by accident on the net and when I looked into Mandriva 2010 was surprised to see it there all on its lonesome. I had tried most of the other more well known ones but found them to be difficult to get to grips with. I am still in the learning curve for OpenShot so it will be a little while before I am totally at ease with it. It seems a lot more user friendly to my way of thinking.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hi, Ken.

I have followed your advice and downloaded Gparted and burnt it to Disk. So now I have got it should I need it again in the near future.

Cheers. John.

Having a bootable Gparted Disk is always nice but what I was saying was to install it
urpmi gparted

then it is right there when you need to work on a removable or unmountable drive or partition without the need to reboot.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I find that I mostly needed the tool for other friends machines when I had the earlier CD. I haven't ever needed it for any of my Machines.

Photorec installed will suffice my needs for the present especially since this the only time I have ever had to recover data and then it was from a device that wasn't even part of my computer but from an other device. I have 6 different flash cards for my two cameras and a couple are about 3 years old so this experience has been a good forewarning of what might happen more often in the future. Actually I feel more relaxed now that I have a means and a degree of understanding of how to resolve such an event should it arise again (and I feel it will when I least expect it).

This experience was also my very first task done with only using the CLI. :)

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn