mandriva 2010 kde 4 livecd password

jazzcomm

I have just downloaded and burned a livecd of mandriva 2010 kde, md5sum is okay everything checked.

now i boot from the lifecd, it comes with a login to localhost and its asking for username and password.

whatever i try user , no password(enter) guest, guest, user user.. it every time comes back asking for this user name and password.... i think i go nuts :) how can i now try out the livecd if you need to have a username and password for a livecd???? weird

I also checked the readme file on the livecd.... not a word about livecd username and password

I also checked the mandriva website... not a word about livecd username and password

google... not one useful answer, it seems more people have the same problem, also with fedora12 kde livecd login password

and no real answers, i write this about fedora12 so that anyone who gets this same problem can find it with google

on this moment i'm running opensuse 11.2 with kde 4 so there is nothing wrong with my pc--

Hopefully someone can clear this up, why a username & password for a livecd, and what will be the password solution

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem. The sha1 checksum was okay and I have never had problems burning images. I tried user live and password live and it didn't work. Then I tried to install Mandriva Linux One 2010 GNOME and it worked.

P.S. I have never been able to install Ubuntu on my Fujitsu Siemens laptop, so I'm using Mandriva.

:) i'm glad with your reply, so it is definitively a kde4 bug :(

I tried many distro's now, mandriva kde4, fedora kde4, kubuntu kde 4... it all failed the same way

i wonder why this has not been tested before releasing the life cd :( i thought all the time that it was a problem with my pc.. but it seems it isn't :)

Now i still have to find out WHAT goes wrong each time with a kde4 session...when i find a solution i will drop it here.

thanks

jazz

I tried many distro's now, mandriva kde4, fedora kde4, kubuntu kde 4... it all failed the same way

i wonder why this has not been tested before releasing the live cd...

There is no password problem with any of the distros you have mentioned. I have used them all from live CD recently. Most recently I booted up Mandriva 2010.0 kde4 which I have at hand, no password was needed for the live account, no password needed for the root account either, I just typed su and was immediately in root mode.

:) i'm glad with your reply, so it is definitively a kde4 bug :(

i wonder why this has not been tested before releasing the life cd :( i thought all the time that it was a problem with my pc.. but it seems it isn't

Well, if so many distros are failing on your PC, then surely you must admit, each of those live distros has gone through extensive testing and work for many, many, many other PCs. So it sounds like there's something about your PC which these CDs aren't coping very well with. Do you have some strange video card perhaps which needs some special drivers?

Obviously, for most people the live CD doesn't ask for any username or password, it just goes straight into the desktop. It sounds like for you, X is failing to start and crashing you back to the white-text-on-black-background login screen, am I right? So if you can get to the X logs or the messages logs, then you might be able to see what's going wrong... but of course you need to login somehow to get to those files...

I thought the combination was guest/guest, or perhaps guest without a password, but I haven't got a Mandriva KDE4 live CD to hand, unfortunately. If anyone does have one then the output of "whoami" from a terminal prompt would be very useful! :thumbs:

i thought, maybe its my burner...so tried to burn the iso's on other pc's ... in total 9 cd's 3 distro's kde4

md5sum of all cd's checked.. all ok..all same problem :(

Its not that X is failing because it all the time comes back in the graphical mode logon screen..

i tried all those passwords..none,root guest life....what you see on the screen is : the harddisk icon, then the toolbox icon... and finally it starts trying to write the kde icon... blop...there it fails...back to the logon screen. samme result if from the command prompt(failsafe mode) you type startkde or startkdm...

its a pity... i like kde4, and appreciate all the progress since kde4.0... so i simply wend back to kubuntu 9.04 for this moment and will simply wait a few weeks / months for the next release of any kde4 distro, then the problem is possibly solved... but i'm glad that i'm not the only one with this problem :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Welmaf

i have also just decided to try out linux and decided on mandriva, i have downloaded and burnt off the CD image (mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-KDE4-europe1-americas-cdrom-i586.iso) to try it out, and i too am asked for a username and password either a guest one or a xlive (i beleive) one and any combo of the usual passwords and usernames on the various forums dont work.

and stuck at a graphical gui screen asking for logons and cant get any further. please can someone help me out?

Thanks!

@jazzcomm, do see a grey message on the top left of youre screen just before you been drop back to the inlog screen. If so the burn is bad

Further, if you do the first boot of KDEOne you don't need a password if you logout and login you need a login name and password that will be guest and the password is guest

the issue is that there is something going wrong with this version of kde4, the same latest version of mandriva(and fedora, and ubuntu) but with gnome works flawlessly . But even when you have the gnome version running well, and you install kde4 (complete with all lib's and apps)from the repository and then start a kde4 sesion from the logon screen the same happens over and over again :( and i have no idea in which direction i must search to solve the bug.

standard motherboard, no overclocking or other stuff, onboard video,no harddisk troubles, memtest run for 24hrs, no failure, everything works perfect.. except with kde4.4