What directories and how much space for each?

erniev

I have purchased the 2010 Powerpack and will install on a 70gig hard drive with XP.

I got a little confused with the installation and may have made a wrong entry somewhere - the installation is not yet complete...

I can resize my hard drive giving approx half to XP and half to Mandriva.

I had previously used Mandrive and it had set up the directories automatically but for some reason I am asked to set up the directories individually.

Can you advise what directories I need to get started and how much space to allocate....

or would I be better cancelling the installation and starting from the beginning again?

Thanks

ernie

You really only need three additional, so swap at 1GB would be fine, it could even be 512MB if you have lots of ram. Then a / partition with 10GB, would be good, and the rest for /home.

• 3 months later...

ernie

is this your full time box?

if it is, I would recommend going bigger than the 10gb for /

I had 11gb devoted to / and JUST recently had to "expand it" (not the most comforting feeling I might add)

however this is my primary desktop i do a lot of sound and video editing as well as some android dev and am 1/3 part of an IS on call team.

I dont game, but a few weeks ago I went to perform an update and it kept failing.

After the 3rd time I finally READ the error messages and son f a gun I had less than 1GB left

lucky for me during one of my previous setups I had devoted 40GB to my swap (yeah i dont know why either, probably got them backwards.

But when I expanded the 11GB to 20GB everything went fine.