Getting Fluxbox to run

dalee

Hi,

I've compiled and installed Fluxbox on 9.0. I can get it to start and run from the CLI. But I need to get it to run from GDM (I've got wife and kids running this box too). I symlinked startflluxbox to my /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions. I did a chmod 700 on the file. But when I log out of the WM I'm using to do this, it appears that I lose permisson to log in Flux as a user. What I do get is TWM instead. :wall::furious3:

What am I doing wrong? And any ideas how to fix?

Thanks Much!

dalee

I use startx to get into X, so I have a line "exec /path/to/fluxbox" (no quotes) at the bottom of ~/.xinitrc.

If you're booting directly into gui, I think the file to doctor is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, again adding the same line at the bottom. I'm not 100% sure on the gui method

[root@ml root]# rpm -ql fluxbox
/etc/X11/wmsession.d/16fluxbox
/etc/menu-methods/fluxbox
/usr/X11R6/bin/bsetroot-fluxbox
/usr/X11R6/bin/fbrun
/usr/X11R6/bin/fbsetbg
/usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox
/usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox-generate_menu
/usr/X11R6/bin/startfluxbox

[root@ml root]# vi /etc/X11/wmsession.d/16fluxbox

NAME=fluxbox

ICON=fluxbox.png

EXEC=/usr/X11R6/bin/startfluxbox

DESC=Windowmanager based on the original blackbox-code

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/startfluxbox

[root@ml root]# file /etc/X11/wmsession.d/16fluxbox
/etc/X11/wmsession.d/16fluxbox: ASCII English text
[root@ml root]# ll /etc/X11/wmsession.d/16fluxbox
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          159 Dec  8 22:32 /etc/X11/wmsession.d/16fluxbox*
[root@ml root]#

it use to be that when you compiled flux this file wouldn't be created. You'd think that would be fixed by now IF you used a mdk.src.rpm. If not, that's why. Distros use diff methods for login....creating the file is up to you. If the file is there but not seen at login, I haven't a clue.

yes, a simple .xinitrc in each users home dir should work as well if you want to boot to console. Please don't say it's more confusing for kids/women/windozers....mine can do it. The only diff is they have to type startx>and press Enter instead of just press Enter for OK. :P If it's a matter of having to edit the file and have choices for diff DE's/WM's...then I understand.

vi ~/.xinitrc

#exec /usr/bin/startkde
exec /usr/bin/startgnome
#exec /usr/X11R6/bin/startfluxbox