Web and mail server

My server has one nic, and I have all my servers using this. I have a client installation, whereby I'm using three nics. Two of which are using public IP's because they are using two internet connections and have configured clustering with load balancing to use both internet links at the same time for the service my solution to them is providing, and the third nic is using a private ip address for connection to a NAS for backups of the systems.

Depending on how you are connecting this, I'm thinking you want to use both NICS but on the same LAN so that you get better performance but correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, if that is the case, for the main server running Xen, you'll only want eth0 or whatever configured with an IP address, and just leave the other one without an IP. Then just bind both in the xen config so that you can use both network cards with the virtual machines. Then later, you just use the one that you want in the machines, be it eth0 or eth1 and then you have both nics in use with Xen for balancing out all your machines. Or you can do what I did, and use a separate NIC for a separate network segment.

or (as I do) you could use another network segment for iScsi .. I have a couple of Dell MD1000's attached to two Dell 2850's which run lvm/drdb

The front end (vm) server use this as storage; the result is I can migrate vm's across front ends with almost (read: mintues) downtime

then again: my web and mail server for my own personal stuff runs on a vmware vm running vmware server free edition version 1.0.9 ohmy.gif

The old say: A mechnics car is always breaking down etc etc biggrin.giflaugh.gif

The network I am installing into only has one Windows 2003 Server functioning as a file server, DHCP server, and DNS server. DNS is only for the local network. I may have to get a better router, as the current one is a basic broadband router with a 4 port switch. I thought I would use one nic for each virtual machine in order to balance the load. The web site is low volume but the mail server would need more demand.