Killing a terminal

Vdubjunkie

Hi all,

The other day I turned on both of my monitors attached to my nix workstation and nothing. I mean nothing. I'm hoping that somebody can tell me if there is a nice simple way to "reset" an appropriate terminal such as /dev/vc1 or the like. I know with AS/400 I can simply vary off and back on a device when it has "failed." When this problem occured I ssh'd in from my server and attempted to kill everything from the :0 display X session, but never did get any display to the screen. I tried doing the various Alt + F1 and Alt + Shift + F1, etc. and about any wacky key combination I could think of really. Nothing worked. I finally wound up telling it to restart from the ssh session when I felt satisfied I had tried everything I could think of. :wall:

• 3 weeks later...
ctrl+alt+backspace

that should drop you into a login screen

Thanks Sarah, but that only works when you have a semi working screen. I'm talking about a totally hosed display where you can't even watch the mouse move. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING works locally. Only access whatsoever is remotely.

init 1

init 3

YIKES!! I guess that would do it. I'll try that next time.

For a bit more info on my situation, this will happen to my desktop once I load it up with more than a couple apps and leave it running continuously for a couple few weeks. Somewhere along the lines I go to fool with some windows and they begin to slow down to a snail's pace. I begin trying to close programs, but never get far before it get's totally hosed. I attempt a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and that begins to work, but ultimately fails leaving ghosted windows on my screen and nothing I do locally does anything productive. However, it does seem when I attempt Ctrl+Alt+Backspace again the command does register and the activity light on the tower flickers for a split second. Likely something in the OS is telling it not to try it again because it is already in process is my theory.

Anyway, I run a dual screen via two seperate video cards Xinerama or however you spell it. I'd look, but I'm at work, and my putty windows are crunching some heavy duty work making browsing very inefficient.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas guys!