odd network issues

Guest dmolavi

Guest dmolavi

Here is my setup:

DSL gateway (static IP) -----> Wired/Wireless router ------> various computers, including a Mandrake 9 box.

For simplicity, the static IP of the DSL gateway is a.b.c.d.

The router is configured to route all http/ftp/telnet/etc requests to the internal IP address of the mandrake box (192.168.2.6).

All the machines have the DNS servers set to the (static) IP of the gateway (per the config instructions of the router, a dell truemobile 1184), and their gateway addresses set to the internal IP of the router (192.168.2.1).

Each of the other computers (Windows boxes of various flavors connecting via wireless) can browse the web just fine. They can also view the website that is hosted on the Mandrake box (as can others outside of our little LAN here at home); which means that the mandrake box is allowing incoming requests, and sending out the data. *BUT*, I cannot browse the web or do anything else outside of the local net from the mandrake box. i can ping the gateway and DNS addresses of the mandrake box (set to the same gateway/DNS addresses of the others), but it can't resolve any hostnames, and when I run the network config tool from the mandrake control panel, it says that it can't connect to the internet. (I have also tried setting the DNS to the DNS servers used by my DSL provider). Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dariush Molavi

Guest LinuxExplorer

If your hardware router has DHCP, personally I'd use that and set up your MDK9 box to DHCP to see what it does from that. I'm not doubting you being able to put in the correct information, but that could possibly help. My router has DHCP and I use it just for simplicity. The other boxes should still be able to go through your MDK9 box if you're trying to regulate traffic. Also, you may try using two NICs on the MDK9 box considering NICs are inexpensive enough. One for internal traffic and one for external web traffic.