SCSI Emulation

yorneB

Hi everyone

I have mandrake 9.2 installed and the latest K3b (10.1.3 i think)

I have a LG-DVD Rom 8160 and a MSI Dragon writer CR48-A

Last night i tried burning a CD (music) and i got this message

"No support for ATAPI with cdrdao

You will not be able to use all your reading devices as copy sources since there is at least one not configured to use SCSI emulation and your system does not support ATAPI with cdrdao.

Solution: The best and recommended solution is to enable ide-scsi (SCSI

emulation) for all devices. This way you won't have any problems."

How do i enable this? Be gentle i'm new to this.

Good day

if you're using LILO, then do the following.

open lilo.conf with a text editor of your choice. it's in /etc/lilo.conf.

edit or add the following line under the "append" section

append="devfs=mount hdX=ide-scsi hdX=ide-scsi acpi=off"

(where the hdX should be the letter of YOUR corresponding cd drives.)

save the file.

after you edit lilo.conf, go to terminal, su to root, then type:

lilo -v

hit enter, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

if you're using GRUB, then i'm not sure about the exact editing info & somebody else could probably help ya with that.

Chris

Not being overly familiar with this, could you break it down so us dullards can understand? So, I go to Kate or one of any editors and ....? Help me out. I too got the same error message when I added a stand-alone burner. Not only that but my internal CD would not play CDs. I finally had to disconnect my UBS burner in order to use the CD. Sure would like to have both. Thanks.

smartjak.........

i'll break it down as best i can.......

lilo is your bootloader. lilo.conf is simply a text file for lilo, listing the choices you have to boot your computer (ie: boot into windows, linux, failsafe mode, etc) & that also contains some info as to what to load when booting into one of those choices (ie: where the kernel is, which kernel, where your drives are, etc.).

the problem you (& other people, including myself at one time) are having with burners, is that most burning programs don't recognize an IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive. i won't bore you with the technical details of what IDE is & does & how it works. you can Google for that info if ya like. SCSI stands for small computer system interface. again, you can Google for the info. in a nut shell, it's 2 different technologies used for running drives & making them recognizable to the computer & various programs that use them.

back to lilo.........

one of the things that lilo tells your computer is what type of drives (hard drive, floppy, cd, dvd, etc) your computer has. more than likely it's gonna have ide drives amongst them. so, when a program (such as k3b or other cd burning apps) don't recognize ide drives, you have to tell your computer to emulate the ide drives as scsi drives. which leads us back to editing a line in the lilo.conf to tell your computer to do just that.

so........

being that lilo.conf is simply a text file, you need a text editor to edit it. you can choose one of the multitudes of text editors out there. kwrite, kedit, kate in KDE, for instance. you can use any of the gnome editors, or even VI in terminal mode. you just need something to use to edit that line in your lilo.conf file. IMHO, the easiest way to do this is thusly....

i'm gonna show you how to do this the easiest way using KDE as your DE. if you use Gnome, or something else, then just substitute the appropriate apps with what you use.

open terminal->

su to root->

type kdesu konqueror->

hit enter->

**** note: you need to have root privileges to edit the lilo.conf file. hence logging into KDE super user mode to access it. if you're using Gnome, et al, you'll need to acces the lilo.conf file with whatever root method you use in those DE's. ****

this will open the KDE Konqueror file manager in Super User (hence the kdeSU part) mode. in this mode, you are essentially root & have all the powers of root, so pay attention as to what you're editing & such.

now, with KDEsu opened, navigate to your /etc directory->

find the file called lilo.conf->

since it's just a text file, you can just click on it & the program associated with text files will automatically open it, or you can right click on it & open it with the program (text editor) of your choice.

okay.......you have the puppy opened. now, scroll down until you see the in the first section where it says image=boot/vmlinuz. that's your default linux installation that you boot into. below that, look for a line that says something like the following....

**** note: you can apply this same method to other kernels listed in your lilo.conf that you may use to boot into, if you indeed have more than one kernel version on your computer, as many people do. just look for the same line listed below under the kernel version of your choice in the lilo.conf file. ****

append="devfs=mount hdX=ide-scsi acpi=off"

that's the line that tells your computer what type of cdrom drive(s) you have. the line above would be for one drive (hdX) saying that the drive is an IDE drive (=ide) with scsi emulation enabled (-scsi). NOTE: the X in hdx will be the letter of your particular drive. it may be A, B, C, or any other letter of the alphabet. it depends on how your system boots, what's slave versus what's master, & the amount of drives on your system.

now, to make your second drive (cdburner) emulate scsi, you need to add the following info in BOLD to that line........

append="devfs=mount hdX=ide-scsi hdX=ide-scsi acpi=off"

again, with the letter X corresponding to the letter of YOUR drive. spaces (i know) & cap sensitive (i think) counts here, so make sure you get that correct.

after you do that, save the file as is. do not rename it or your system won't boot. close kdesu.

now, to make that change take effect, to need to tell your computer that you updated your lilo bootloader. so, to do that, go back to terminal. if you're still root, stay there. if not, su to root. then type the following

lilo -v

hit enter

that is telling lilo to add the changes you made in verbose (-v) mode. you could also just type lilo & hit enter, but you wouldn't see any output. after you type that, a few lines will scroll by showing that lilo is being updated. if it finds anything wrong, in verbose mode, you will see an error message which will let you know things are not correct & give you the chance to go back & fix it. if you don't use the -v switch, you won't see anything so you won't know if it's good or not.

now, after that, if you didn't see any error messages, you need to reboot your computer for the scsi emulation to be enabled. so, simply reboot your comp with whatever method you are comfortable with. it doesn't matter if you do it via terminal, or via right click desktop.

once you've booted back up, you will need to rerun the setup program for k3b (or what ever burning app you're using) so it can now detect your newly scsi emulated drive.

A HELPFUL HINT THAT MAY SAVE YOUR PANTS...... BEFORE EDITING ANY IMPORTANT CONFIG FILE, IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO BACK UP THE KNOWN GOOD WORKING VERSION OF THAT FILE TO ANOTHER DIRECTORY OR EVEN A FLOPPY. THIS WAY, IF YOU REALLY BUGGER SOMETHING UP, YOU CAN ALWAYS REPLACE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD!

hope this helped explain things more clearly.......

Chris

Edited by chris z

Thanks for your explanation.

I have a question about scsi emulation. When I edit lilo.conf, I can use k3b to burn CDs but I can't play DVDs anymore as I get this message from mplayer : "couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd". Is it normal or did I do something wrong?

Is there any way I can burn CDs and play DVDs without having to edit lilo.conf and then change it back? I'd appreciate any help.

Ok, another file to edit...

In your /dev - directory you should have an entry called /dev/srX (X is a number). This is the device wher eyou can read from using scsi-emulation I think.

In your /etc/fstab-file (is a text-file), you should have an entry mentioning your dvd, ....

With the entry, you 'll see als a dev-entry /dev/<something>

Change it too the /dev/srX (X = number) - thing you should have. In some programs you have to set the /dev-entry for a device (like xine, ..), so yoiu should change that too then. But this is not for all programs! Just try it out...

Edited by Michel

Thanks for the advice and the great explanation Chris z

I did'nt have time to try it until now.

I did everything like you said (i think) but it still doesn't work.

Here my lilo.conf file text.

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/qc-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=200

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda8

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda9 splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda8

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda9"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda8

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda9"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

I put what i added in bold.

my LG DVD-ROM DRD-8160B is hdd

my MSI CD-RW MS-8348 is hdc

What did i do wrong?

Thanks again

yorneB

yorneb..........

you need to have the info all on one line like this........(this is my lilo.conf) look for the bold letters.......

boot=/dev/hdc

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=900

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="quiet devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

other=/dev/hdc1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hdc

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hda=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.18mdk

label="2421-18"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.18mdk.img

append="quiet devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.25mdk

label=2421-25

root=/dev/hdc7

read-only

optional

vga=788

append=" quiet devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off"

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.25mdk.img

you have your scsi info on 2 separate lines. put it all on one line like my example above, substituting your own drive letters (hdc & hdd).

EDIT: ok, i was just looking at your lilo.conf again, now that i'm not in a hurry to get to work. here's where your mistake is in your lil.conf........

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

you have hdc listed twice & also you have 2 lines instead of one. yours should read like this, all on one line......

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

if indeed your cdrom & burner are hdc & hdd respectively.

and remember, BACK UP a copy of your untouched lilo.conf if you haven't already. better safe then sorry later. ;)

Chris

Edited by chris z

Thanks again Chris.

After i posted my reply yesterday i had a bit more time and did a little research and found a few good sites about cd burning in linux.

So i changed my lilo.conf file and put everything on one line. It stil doesn't work but i think it was different then what you wrote so i'll try agani tonight.

What do you make of the end of the original line:

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda9 splash=silent"
particulary the resume=/dev/hda part. This what there oiginaly.

Well thanks again, i have to go out know and shovel the 20" of snow that fell during the night. Ah Montreal in winter...

yorneB

you don't want to edit that line! you want to edit the append line 2 lines below that, using the syntax i stated above........

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

the line you are refering to with hda9 is one of your linux partitons, not a cdrom drive. hda would be your hard drive (like c:\ in Windows) the 9 is refering to one of your linux partitions (like /usr /home /root etc.) splash=silent is refering to your boot splash screen (i think???).

so, what you need to do is not touch the hda9 line, and make the append line below that read as i stated above.

gotta get back to work now........

Chris