URGENT WINBLOWS USER SOUGHT

Gowator

Well this is either sware or hware....

I am trying out of desperation the commercial WiFi drivers that work as a wrpper round the winXP ones.

However I need to extract the files since NETGEAR don't provide the option to unzip the stuff. That's right, just to prevent linux/bsd bods reverse engineering a driver they added an extra layer of complexity.

I trawled the internet and couldn't find them and netgear refuse point blank to 'support' linux on there 802.11G chipsets. Well, they have gone further than not suuport they are doing verything in their power to STOP linux users using their product.

So I have the drivers, the cab files are not recognised by cabextract. The installer REFUSES to run under wine. So ultimately I need a winBlows machine.....

Help, can someone PLEASE run the damned installer for a WG511 (and hopefully also the WG311) ...and extract the damned files for me....

WG511 is most urgent

WG511

WG311

If you can email to sl-at-lepeanuts.homelinux.com!!! please.

ummm........

Gowator........

not sure what you're wanting here. i just went to your links for the files. they are simply .zip files. there's no CAB files inside of them. i downloaded them & simply extracted the contents (unzipped them) using WinZip. i'm in Win2K at work right now. all you should need to do is get a copy of WinZip to extract the contents. it's a free program located at winzip.com. if you really want me to, i can e-mail you the contents, but it's over 7 megs worth of stuff & if you're on dial up or your e-mail server has storage limitations, it may be troublesome for you. let me know.......

EDIT

ps: also, the wg311 contains seperate drivers for win9x, win2k, & winxp. which version do you need?

Chris

Edited by chris z

They are different according to the model.

The 511 uses Atheros and the 511 PrismGT

The 311 (website is indeed a zip). Im trying the 511 1st.

I know I need the firmware and ndis drivers and the .inf file!!!

The 511 v 1.1 is cab files but these are not readable by cabextract in linux which claims they are not MS cab files!

My work XP box also refuses to open the cabinets, well they are empty.

I can't run the setup because camels ass mand my 'new' but useless XP box (since yesterday) seem like close cousins. I spent yeasterday trying to coax it into using Opera becuase I can't use Java (or turn it on) under XP and I need it for my own intranet site!!!

DOH...anyway managed opera but Im stuck with ms java.

I can't run the setup.exe for the 511 v1.1 becuase I don't have privelidges!!!

Version 1.6 for the 511 just has a single .exe and this tries to create a ikernel.exe I don't have permission for.

The 311 drivers (whuich i think is all I need) add up to about 640kb so i expect the 511 parts I need will be similar. Lots is the config tools etc. which i don't and documentation!!!(which I don't need either)

My mail server is on linux and accepts whatever I tell it :D although I can't remember what size I specified I can change it tonight if I have to.

(its just reinstalled - long story)

"ps: also, the wg311 contains seperate drivers for win9x, win2k, & winxp. which version do you need?"

According to the driver man. the XP version!!!!

Gowator,

i just e-mailed you the wg311 driver files. hope that's what you needed. also, the e-mail address you provided seems to be wrong;

sl-at-lepeanuts.homelinux.com

it wouldn't send that way, so i ammended it to:

sl-at-lepeanuts@homelinux.com

EDIT

although i didn't make note of it in my e-mail, those drivers are for winxp, just in case you were wondrin'.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Sorry Chris_Z its

sl@lepeanuts.homelinux.com

(I took the @ out to stop automatic harvesting by spambot's)

I managed the 311 (although I don't know if it will work yet!) but the 511 is project number 1. (LAPTOP)

I can't extract these becuase I don't have priv's at work and I don't have ANY windows at home.

yeah, i just got the mail i sent back marked undeliverable.

onto wg511.........

before i send it, i'm still confused. there are no drivers in that .zip file. there's a 1.5meg executable file & a word doc with info about it. there are no other files in that package. let me know if that's what you want, then i'll e-mail them to you. (at the proper address :P ) if that's not what you need, then i'm back to being stumped again. :screwy:

Chris

tag, you're it! :lol:

ok, i think we're getting there. now, i need you to tell me exactly what you need.......

i ran the wg511 executable. it created a directory in my /program files. contained there in are 3 more directories. here's what they are & what's in them, with files sizes in () rounded up.. let me know which things you need/want.

driver->contains: netwg511.cat(0b), netwg511.inf(21k), wg511dcb.arm(91k), wg511icb.sys(57k)

install->contains: install.ini(415b), install2k.exe(45k), install9x.exe(46k), mainctrl.exe(284k), pcarmdrv.exe(44k)

utility->contains: wg511wlu.exe(216k)

keep in mind, i'm not sure if the executable i ran placed files unknown to me in other locations. it does come with an uninstaller, so if you don't need these or don't want them, i can uninstall easily enough. (thank god for work computers.......the perfect testing grounds!) also, the wg511wlu.exe file is a configuration utility, so i'd think you'd definitely need that.

i'll be here at work with access to this stuff until 3:30PM US EST time. if i don't hear back from ya by then, i'm just gonna uninstall this stuff 'cause i'm not sure if it will interfere in anyway with my network here.

Chris

Edited by chris z

thanks chris_z

driver->contains: netwg511.cat(0b), netwg511.inf(21k), wg511dcb.arm(91k), wg511icb.sys(57k)

I guess .cat is an empty holder but since its zero sized mightest well add it.

I need the .inf for the wrapper and the .arm is the firmware which I definately need. The sys is I guess the actual ndis driver.

Thanks again

Gowator

I won't need the config utility becuase the linux wrapper comes with its own which runs as a min-server on your host... (like webmin)

allrighty then........

give me a few minutes. e-mails will be forth coming.......

Chris

the files you requested have been sent to you via e-mail to the address you provided. hope it works. let me know.......

Chris

BAH,

It refuses to load the drivers.

The inf file worked fine ....

The PCMCIA card doesn't light up but I can see it inder PCMCIA devices....

Please note (/duck) Im doing this on Lindows....(laptop edition)

Honest...it recognises my acpi, power management , winmodem ....

and its a laptop not a server.

Ahhhh... Im drowning...its better than windows anyway!!!

Gowator.......

isn't there any way that you can enable winpermissions for yourself & try installing from the executables? i have no experience with Lindows or how that works, but it may be as i said before........there may be other files involved that are embedded in other directories other than the one's that i could find & sent you. if ya need anymore, i still have the 2 programs on my computer here, so let me know. good luck......

Chris

Nah,

The installer uses the windows inf file.

This the requests the .arm and .sys files (I guessed right) specifically.

The problem is it then tries to load the .arm (I think) into the card. This is the chipset firmware part. At this point it just hangs!!!!

However I know it can work. Lindows is a very stripped down in someways Linux. Its a consumer product, not for learning about linux.

Its insecure etc. (actually to the same extent as a Mac with the defaults).

The tools etc. aren't opensource.... so in many ways its just a better version of windows...

The install for instance knocks the Mandrake 'easy' install into a cocked hat. Hardware detection was perfect on a troublesome machine and it uses non-opensource stuff. Like the Xine version comes with (for $5) a commerical MPGEG decoder/encoder. You can actually watch a DVD and record at the same time!!!!

The work problem is that we are not meant to actually use the windows machines. Im not even allowed to change the language settings or display resolution. Sure I can hack it.... but then I get in trouble when they ask how I managed x,y,z.