Are these the last days of Novell as we know it?

spinynorman

After the hedge fund Elliott Associates made known its bid for Novell, at some kind of bargain basement price of under a billion US dollars, it seems unlikely that the company will not be acquired by either the fund or some other suitor who is waiting in the wings.

Free software and open source types may agonise over a sale, since one of the better known GNU/Linux distributions, SUSE Linux, is one of the main assets that Novell still possesses.

Analysis at ITWire.

There are some who already think that SuSE was lost to Microsoft long ago. I used openSUSE until my recent move back to Mandriva, a move I made from desire rather than any other political or legal imperative. The question is, if this is a move to acquire a Linux distro, what does that mean in light of all the distros out there? I am not sure that it means anything, except to SuSE.

Edited by Ixthusdan

No doubt Microsoft is trying to penetrate Linux territory.

They know very well Linux is gaining in big parts of the server-market.

And probably they also feel the heat of Linux-breath into embedded systems.

My thought is, there are plans being made by MS, to make their own market stronger.

No doubt Microsoft is trying to penetrate Linux territory.

Absolutely true. They initially thought of "blocking Linux" but ran into difficulty with that. Remember "safe computing?" Microsoft's long term goal is to have the hardware only boot Windows, and Windows only work through the internet. They want to remove the bios. Your fees will be access, probably monthly. So acquiring a distro could help them develop this long term goal. But, they could do this anytime they wish by downloading a distro. I am still not sure how their continual manipulation of Novell fits their scheme. Originally, when they thought they had a patent challenge, I could see the issue. But they lost that one.

There are some who already think that SuSE was lost to Microsoft long ago.

For me Suse died when Novell bought them, I never liked Novell and their pact with Microsoft only confirmed my impression I had of them before that already.

I'm surprised that IBM hasn't bought themselves a distro yet...

Edited by tux99

For me Suse died when Novell bought them, I never liked Novell and their pact with Microsoft only confirmed my impression I had of them before that already.

I'm surprised that IBM hasn't bought themselves a distro yet...

Blue Hat?:D

Blue Hat?:D

Well, they couldn't have Blue Coat, as this is already in use :D

Maybe Blue Trousers, pants, scarf, gloves :lol2:

Or, Big Blue Linux (since IBM known as Big Blue).