NVIDIA Driver install problem

SILVERPENGUIN

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Im stuffed at the moment. I just installed 9.2 and its certainly quite tarte in my mouth at the moment.

Ive got kernel ent 2.4.22-10-mdkenterprise (cos of the 1GB)

I still have no idea what kernel ent does apart from >868MB support ....

However the nforce source refuses to compile without the kernel source headers and I can't find the enterprise version.

The reason I finally reinstalled is everything went pear shaped with 1-2 lockups a week after trying to compile my own source from the MDK vanilla with 4GB and Athalon optimised. All were due to the nvidia nforce drivers.

(Im doing this on my laptop)

Where the heck is the enterprise source. Ive trawled downloads here and severalplaces without success.

well I searched to...but isn't the kernel-source the kernel-source for enterprise? It's just a config option in a regular kernel-source.....then again, ignore me, I know nothing about running HIGHMEM kernels other than that. Worse case.....compile your own.

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&di...1-1mdk.i586.rpm

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Mandrake/Updates/9.2/

bvc:

I feel the same about enterprise. Like I thought I knew what it was then ....

the more I think the more I wonder what the differences are.

The particular prob is the nforce drivers. I downloaded the vanilla and recomp with 4GB (and switched to athalon optimisation atthe same time)

However this caused problems with the compile of the nforce drivers.

Missing symbols etc. and this causes my PC to lockup!

Its a massive mess which Is why I tried 9.2 against my better judgement.

So far as I can tell the nforce RPM's work with 9.1 vanilla and nothing else.

The tarballs won't compile for anything except vanilla-mdk ...

In 9.1 I found differences in the kernel-source and the actual compiled kernel from mandrake. I'd always thought the kernel was compiled from the packages claiming to be kernel source but it appears not.

In all honestly I think I will have to go back to 9.1 and runing without himem in order to get my system stable since the only working config that was stable was no himem on the vanilla 9.1 kernel using the nvidia supplied rpm's for 9.1.

Seems a shame to waste the memory but the alternative seems to be switching to a more stable distro or at least one with the exact source for the kernels .