build your own laptop

I'm pretty sure there are the components available in Japan to build your own laptop but AFAIK they haven't reached the rest of the world yet!!

It sounds like you want a swanky laptop but can't afford one, saving or a loan are really the best options.

• 5 weeks later...

It is possibly to build a customized laptop. Many PC component distributors sell what are termed 'white box' laptops. These are unbranded laptops made by the same companies that make Dell, Toshiba, HP/Compaq, etc. The plastics might be changed, colors, buttons, but under the hood they are the same. ASUS is one name that makes these systems. These systems are bare bones configuration - no HD, CPU or memory. Typically the battery, optical drive and power supply are included. There are desknotes as well, as laptop form factor with no battery - avoid these. Prices on these bare bones systems range from about $500-$1000. Then you have to add the CPU, memory, etc. Price as always varies based on LCD size, chipset, processor supported and optical device chosen. These can be a good deal if you are looking at the $1500+ range. A white box will save you about $200 or so (rough calculation). On the lower end, a white box solution will actually end up costing you the same or more than a cheap Dell, HP, etc.

On the low end, some cheap laptops from the likes of Dell can be souped up. A Dell 1100 (cheap, but heavy and not great battery life) can be upgraded on the processor, harddrive, optical and memory - hey I've seen this list before. I just replaced my 1100, but was looking at going from a Celeron to P4.

As always, it's best to shop around and do your homework before buying.

i think later on this summer ill be building my self a desktop to run either suse or mandrake. Curently im sticking to apple as it in my opinion is best.. I work at http://www.discoverycomputers.ca/ and can get all my computer stuff at cost so i might build a nice p4 with 1gig memory sata raid drives dvd-r and dual monitors.. GOTA have dual monitor's..

• 4 weeks later...

You know that you can get a laptop for cheap as low as 799.99 now... maybe lower if you look harder.. like places like pro-star.com or lindows.com and install your own OS... lindows note book runs the c3 processor and the pro-star run on intel... best of luck.