ripping and encoding problems

lil gorsebush penguin

:help:

i've been trying to rip a cd and everytime i'd click on "rip and encode" on my GRIP program, it would shut down.

now my computer automatically shuts down when it hits 70° C so i thought it might be that but i used a command line and tried bladeenc and it was when i tried converting wav files into mp3s and it would shut down! i then tried another command line with lame instead of bladeenc but i got the same problem!! it keeps shutting down my computer!!

any ideas on why it's doing this - and more importantly how to fix it???

Encoding mp3 uses 100% of your cpu power, so your cpu will heat up a lot (sometimes up to 10 degrees celcius). It doesn't matter what codec it uses, the process itself will take 100% cpu power

Anyway, just to check whether this is a cooling problem and not an encoding problem, try running another program that uses 100% cpu power, like SETI, glxgears, or kernel compiling for an extended period of time and see whether your computer shuts down. If it does, then it is time to check on stronger cooling methods, like buying a better heatsink, adding artic silver, adding case fans, etc.

I was pm'ing lil gorse last night.

The shutdown is immediate.

In the past it was hard to tell becuase it would rip/encode and then shutdown.

Now from the CLI with previously extracted WAV's its instantaneous.

(botth LAME and bladeenc)

It could still be temperature. But another option might be the MMX instructions.

What's everyone think....

DragonMage...

Thats what I thought, something in the actual encoding.

All i can think of is MMX instructions....

Yet, I used to own this PC AND I used to RIP MP3's on it.

Perhaps i had an oggenc/lame without MMX (I seem to remember it being slow at encoding) ???

The heat problem is partly caused by an old Phillips CDRECORDER. It seems to generate a lot of heat and although its a tiny shuttle box I stuck and extra cooling fan over the chipset. Previously it had a DVD recorder but I reused the CdRecorder from lil gorse's old PC.

Other than that the only other changes are switching the NVIDIA card for a Matrox MGA 400 (but its as stable as hell under linux) and swapping the Duron 1300 for the theoretically faster Athalon 1250 (named 1400+ I think)

The Athalon is older and was brand new/top of the range when purchased so it might generate a lot more heat but I can't see the temp rise being so instantaneous. The shuttles are fluid cooled, quite neat and transfer the heat away directly to the extractor fan.

Perhaps the particular very early PGA Athalon is generating more heat and/or has a MMX incompatibility that only shows up under MP3 encoding.

Either way its damned annoying.... :wall:

Good point, again its fixed in the shuttle. The price you pay for something almost as pretty as a Mac!!!

However the newer Durons are much less power hungry than the very early Athalon XP's. I remember being quoted 400W PSU's for them when they came out.

check out the pics

The front actually lights up and glows.....

Very very cool looking.....

Edited by Gowator

Well.. if nothing else works, have you tried installing a bare (ugh) windows and try encoding mp3 from there? If it still got cut off during encoding part, then it is definitely a hardware problem, maybe in PS, cooling or hardware incompatibility.

Since this used to be my PC (I couldn't get Linux running on lil gorses aged HP so being the penguin i am I gave her my old PC which I knw ran it GREAT)

Being a linux advocate extrordinaire I also donated my Athalon 1400+ in place of the Duron 1300 already in since I thought it would be better for ripping MP3's etc. and my server is seriously overspeced anyway!!!

I am pretty sure its not overclocked but perhaps the failsafe timing might provide some stability.

The more i think the more I reckon its the Athalon 1400+ (1250)

Its a real power monger and heat producer.

So its either temp and/or power but its surprising the temp rises SO quickly on pressing the key!! A second or two would be polite!

Darn, I'd post the duron and get the other back by post BUT

1) they are extremely fiddly to fit under the liquid cooled stuff and the heat compound needs carefull application

2) I can't really loose my server for a week!!!

Any other ideas folks!!!!

Both of these involve a fiddly bit of micro surgery and a new processor!!!

Edited by Gowator

clock the busspeed a bit lower if you can, 125MHz instead of 133, or 95 instead of 100; do this in the bios.

Load failsafe defaults in the bios.

BTW if this is a power problem, it may also be that the motherboard cannot handle it.

The athlon 1400 (no plus, 1400 is a thunderbird, + ratings were used when the next core called palomino, was introduced) is a real power hungry beast... 75+ watts or so.

at 1.85V this means a whopping 40 amperes --- basically, electrically it is a very expensive short circuit... (though electronically, it's a work of art ;) )