Partitions overlapping ?

pieniaszek

I installed M9.1 and have some things running, but I wondered how the install partitioned the 80 GB and 20 GB hard drives.

When I opened Mount Points, I received this message:

"partitions sector #16450560 (1.7GB) and sector #13285818 (41GB) are overlapping."

Not knowing what to do, I checked ok (twice) and got a multicolor display

showing file types along with hda and hdb tabs.

The 'hda' screen shows: Mount point: /home, device hda6, Journalised FS: ext3, 68GB(91%), formatted, mounted.

The "Filesystem types:" color bar lists Ext2. Journalised FS, Swap, Windows, Other, Empty. (no ext 3)

The color bar below 'hda' shows '/','s',''/home'

Selecting '/', Mount point /,Device:hda1,Type Journalised FS ext3,Size 5.8GB(7%),formatted, Mounted.

Selecting 's', mountpoint swap, device hda5, type Linux swap, size 494MB (0%),formatted,mounted.

The 'hdb' screen shows: device hdb3, DOS drive letter C (just a guess), Type: Win98 FAT32, LBA-mapped, size 1.7GB (17%).

Selecting the first color bar under 'hdb", the info is: device hdb1,type Journalised FS ext 3, size 5.8GB (61%).

Selecting 's', device hdb1, type Journalised FS: ext3, Size 5.8GB (61%)

Selecting the third color bar under 'hdb', shows; Device hdb6, Type Linux native, Size 41GB (432%) - yes that's 432%!

My goal was to figur out what that "partitions overlapping" message was, but I am totally confused. Any guidance?

John Penasack

It means that a partitioning program has muffed up and the partition table data contains "overlapping" information. I would try to reformat the linux native partition, hdb6, over again. It looks like that it is a partition next to your windex partition. Might be that windex needed to be defragged prior to making that linux partition, and so there is an error. So, defrag windex, and then re-do the hdb6 partition. If there is data on that partition, of course, you should back it up or be willing to lose it.

Go here (6th post) to see parted rescue my overlapping partitions. Saved me. Parted is on the cd's :wink:

urpmi parted

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ighlight=parted

Error: Can't have overlapping partitions                                 

Information: A reiserfs logical partition was found at 11021.155Mb -> 13578.373Mb.  Do you want to add it to the partition table?

Yes/No/Cancel? Y

Warning: The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc (Device or resource busy).  This means

Linux won't know anything nothing about the modifications you made until you reboot.  You should reboot your computer before doing anything with

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc.

It means that a partitioning program has muffed up and the partition table data contains "overlapping" information.
Yep as in my case
I was in the process of making a partition for LFS in /mnt/lfs as the instructions say to do. I was using diskdrake from mcc and I can't find any errors anywhere but from experience I'd say it's a simple "lost connection to the X server" situation. The system rebooted on it's own when this happened and when it tried to enter init 5 (autologin) it bounced back and forth yadi yada and I ended up at init 3. To try to make a long story short /tmp is there but it's not.
Edited by bvc

I no longer get the the "partions overlapping" message.

Now I wonder what I have and what I should do (if anything).

hda:

mount point /home, hda6,journ FS:ext 3, 68GB(91%),formatted,mounted

mount point /,hda1, journ FS:ext 3, 5.9GB (7%),formatted,mounted

mount point swap, hda5,Linux swap,494MB (0%), formatted,mounted

hdb:

mount point swap, hdb5,DOS drive letter C(just a guess),Linux swap,9.5GB(99%),formatted,mounted.

To get rid of that "partitions ovelapping" message, I moved whatever it was on hdb to /mnt/windows. When I got to that location I se 0 items,0 files, 0 Directories. ???

I know I need to spend a couple of months trying to understand 'partioning'. but I want to get on with making sound, email, and a lot of other applications working.

Any thoughts, or advice?

Thanks,

John

• 7 months later...

I was yesterday having a look at this post when I decided to gain some space to give to my linux installation (for digital video capturing purposes) and instead of disabling system restore I downloaded a demo version of partition magic to do the job, installed and started using but at certain point (almost at the end of the entire resizing process) it was not possible due to license issues. (what ingenuous I was!!)

I considered the fact of getting rid of windows, but I started thinking on my wife and gave up. Today, I purchased an external 80 Mg HD (properly recognised by harddrake) and everything was going without a problem, till I started to make my new wireless optical mouse to work, I was there in MCC and just checking mouting points, whatever, when I saw a message saying that "PARTITION SECTOR #63 (Windoze) and sector # 39086208 (linux /) are overlapping .

After some google search, I came here to this post and tried what bvc suggested with "parted", my goodness!! It seems to be quite complicated, even doing parted --help!?!? bvc's link is broken. There aren't many threads on partition overlapping, so I would like to count (again) on your help to solve this issue, considering that:

1 ) I wouldn't like to loose my linux installation (the 2nd sector is where the heart of mandrake is located), if formating it is an option;
2 ) Delete windows and reinstalling it, would be a possibility, but how to be sure that the new installation would get the correct space without leaving any "hole" between windows and linux?
3 ) I'm open to any sort of suggestion that would keep my HD clean, without any "hole".

Currently, my partitions are in this order:

hda1>hda5>hda3>hda6, respectively:windoze>linux / >linux swap >linux  /home

Thank you all friends.

Yeah, GB, thanks.

Here go some outputs:

[root@poseidon william]# fdisk -l /dev/hda
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1        2434    19550128+   7  HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda3            3709        3771      506047+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4            2434        4865    19534567+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda5            2434        3708    10241406   83  Linux
/dev/hda6            3772        4865     8787523+  83  Linux
Partition table entries are not in disk order

It seems to be quite strange, cause there isn't any hda4 partition visible in DiskDrake.

Edited by william

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...wtopic=3133&hl=

edited lnk above

You'll notice I told parted to start the rescue at what appears to be the end of my partitions. This is because it was not listed but I new it was there. You may encouter the same issue since diskdrake isn't showing it. Just tell parted to start and finish at the missing partition beginning and end.

Edited by bvc

Thanks, bvc, but when you posted I had already deleted windows partition, but thanks God the overlapping issue has gone.

I'm already with a booting cd to regenerate lilo after windoze reinstall.

Anyway, thanks.

william

Edited by william