Mandriva 2006 & ATI drivers

tev

I just installed Mandy 2006 free download version and it looks great. I just wondering if it's possible to get ATI graphic gard drivers work correcly in this mandy version? 2006 uses Xorg 6.9 and latest ATI driver seems to be for Xorg 6.8. I can install 6.8 drivers without any errors and run fglrxconfig normally, but fglrxinfo tells me that I'm still running Mesa...

Should I wait for new ati drivers, join the mandriva club and download drivers or buy Nvidia garphic gard?

To be perfectly honest, buy an Nvidia card. The support is current and excellent. ATI makes good cards but they are not jumping on the linux train very well. I keep hoping their support will improve.

You can get it working, but it can sometimes be a real pain.

Once you've installed the drivers, make sure you have the following section in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

Also, under the modules section, make sure it says:

load dri

sometimes, you also have to make sure the OpenGL Mesa stuff is installed. Just type:

urpmi Mesa

Section "dri"
   # Access to OpenGL ICD is allowed for all users:
   Mode 0666
   # Access to OpenGL ICD is restricted to a specific user group:
   # Group 100    # users
   # Mode 0660
EndSection

Does this look OK?

Section "Module"
   # This loads the DBE extension module.

Load "dbe" 	 # Double buffer extension

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
   Load "glx"   # libglx.a
   Load "dri"   # libdri.a

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
   # initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.

Subsection "extmod"
       # Option    "omit xfree86-dga"
   EndSubsection
EndSection

How about this?

Edited by tev

That's really bad! On 10.0 without ATI drivers I had at least 200fps. With LE2005 I got around 1200fps without ATI drivers.

Quite a few people have reported 2006 to be quite buggy and unstable. You may wish to run with LE2005 and see how much luck you have with that. To get ATI to work with LE2005 and no ATI drivers.

1. urpmi Mesa.

2. Make sure load dri and

Section "dri"

Mode 0666

EndSection

exists in xorg, and you should be fine. It's works for my Radeon 9250.

Might be worth a shot. I just installed the Nvidia drivers for my system without any problems whatsoever.

When I tried ATI's on 10.0 or 10.1 I had nothing but problems and could never get it to work!!!

I have just today installed Mandriva 2006.0.

My graphic card (Radeon 9200SE/T) was automatically detected and installed

without any intervention of my part. The same situation as in mdv LE2005.

glxinfo results:

name of display: :0.0

display: :0  screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

server glx vendor string: SGI

server glx version string: 1.2

OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 20041207 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL

OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.3.1

glxgears results:

6456 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1291.055 FPS

6454 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1290.775 FPS

6456 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1291.180 FPS

Some time ago, in MDV-LE2005, i installed latest the ATI driver .

The instalation was easy, but it did not improve things at all so i removed it again.

I am quite happy with Mandrivas default instalation.

Regards, Luc

I agree, my LE2005 install with an ATI Radeon 9250 worked without installing any drivers from ATI.

However, it only reported 1200fps or so similar to yourself, which I'm assuming is normal. It's a 128MB card. My NVidia 128MB card reports 4000fps which looks good to me.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest fanc999

The cards above Radeon 8500 will work without hardware 3d acceleration if you do not install the ATI drivers.

To get 3d hardware acceleration, get the drivers from ATI (check your X version-it is recommended to get the Full Graphical installer version of the driver if you use 2006). You need to install your kernel sources package.

Drop me a line if help is needed

I'm using 2006 PowerPack with the latest drivers from ATi. My X700 scores at about 19395 Frames/3879.913 FPS with glxgears. Installing is no pain. I found it even easier then installing nVidia-drivers.

Install the right kernel-source and then use he installation guide on the ATi-site.

Before I forget. I didn't see which ATi-card your using, but check if your card is supported by the latest drivers. Else use DRI.

Edited by Gul Dukat

Guys, i'm a Linux newbie and I don't know anything about installing the kernel source or configuring the ATI driver once it has been installed.

Seeing as Linux has to be able to run Quake III mods if i'm going to stick with it, it's pretty important that I get this ATI problem solved. So, is anyone patient enough to be able to walk me through this problem?

Just for the record, i'm using Mandriva 2006 with a Radeon 9550.

Guys, i'm a Linux newbie and I don't know anything about installing the kernel source or configuring the ATI driver once it has been installed.

Seeing as Linux has to be able to run Quake III mods if i'm going to stick with it, it's pretty important that I get this ATI problem solved. So, is anyone patient enough to be able to walk me through this problem?

Just for the record, i'm using Mandriva 2006 with a Radeon 9550.

You should be better running a tutorial, since you want guidance posters usually dont spend that much time writing long messages. My best bet is to read at least once a general porpouse linux tutorial about running your ATI.

I found you some like this:

http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsect...hp?articleid=22

If you are stuck in some step then you can come back to the forum and we can help you out with what they mean. To download a kernel source you need to go directly to a MDK repository and download directly from there.