Konqueror stopped opening

co

without any error messages, i'll giva ya 2 thoughts/things to try...........

i've had this happen before with some apps. click the shortcut for them, or try running from command line, nothing happens. no errors, no messages, nothing. what i discovered is, sometimes the X Font Server has crashed & the fonts that the apps use are unavailable, so they don't run. have you tried restarting X? if not, do so, then try running Konq.

if that isn't the case, open a terminal as normal user then cd to /home/(you)/.kde/share/apps. (note: the .kde directory is hidden, so you need the .dot in front of it).

cd /.kde/share/apps

we're gonna rename the konqueror folder, which holds all the settings for it. sometimes something can get corrupted there. so, after you are in the above directory at command line, do the following......... (remember, do this as normal user or the old folder will attain root permissions only)

mv konqueror konqueror~

that will rename the konqueror directory to konqueror~. then try starting konq. if it works & you want old settings back that may have been lost, copy them from the folder you renamed to the new one. try doing one at a time, opening Konqueror after each one. if Konq doesn't run after copying something back, then you've found the culprit.

if either of those ideas don't work, then without an error message of some sort, i'm stumped.

Chris

ok..........

have you tried running Konqueror from command line both as root & normal user? if so, does it not work for either or give you any errors for either? if not, try running konqueror with strace, either as normal user or root, doesn't matter.

strace konqueror

it's gonna give you a boatload of info. look for any error lines, most likely towards the end of the output right before it says "exit........."

post back with any info.

Chris

I've seen the same on a new account I created during 10.1 OE install.

Logging off and back on did the trick for me for that account - my regular account was fine.

A friend had the same issue, in his case konqueror started working after opening the help in some program - I think he mentioned it opened konq as webbrowser, not sure.

After that he could open konqueror normally.

Note: in no case did it help to try to start from konsole/cli - not even any feedback...

This bug is being widely reported so your not imagining things. See this link with a posted solution of editing /etc/hosts:

http://forum.mandrakeclub.com/viewtopic.ph...dd3b8a4027797b7

That works OK until you plug in a usb storage device(card reader, camera, hard drive, etc) then you'll be right back at square one and konqueror won't open even after removing the device. Also, your desktop icons wil start to refuse to load on login . I ran into this problem on both my laptop and my regular box. I tried to open konqueror from the command line and it just would hang w/o any error message. I then opened up another console to check the running processes with:

$ ps aux

and a process called "kded" was taking up 95% of my cpu!!! A little googling around and I came across this solution which seems to work:

The problem is with mountwatcher.desktop which is part of kded. It needs to be disabled but it's not easy to do that. First go to /usr/share/services/kded and you will see mountwatcher.desktop. It doesn't look like a text config file but it is; open it with your favorite text editor as root. Go to the last line which will read something like this:

X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=true

Change "true" to "false", save the changes. Go to kde control center>LookNFeel>Behavior>Device Icons and untick the "Show device icons" box. Log out and log back in.

That worked for me; no more problems with konqueror. Note, with the mountwatcher disabled, magicdev won't put an icon on your desktop when a cd is inserted and automounted. It will automount the cd which you can access through the mount point, but w/o an icon you have to unmount the drive from the command line. That got pretty old so I uninstalled magicdev and made mounting icons for my cd drives on my desktop just like in the old days.

Edited by pmpatrick

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Your thanks are appreciated and most welcome. It's always nice to hear. Everyone here was a newb at some point and we all got help from others. Don't be afraid to ask questions. People here are pretty friendly and willing to help.

All that being said, you should really run the updates as that should fix the problem.