Speedtouch or router?

Guest p-gerry21

Guest p-gerry21

hi guys,

forgive me but im a newbie in linux.. ive recently shifted to dsl and i got this speedtouch 330 usb modem that has limited me from just buyin a simple linksys router and have other pcs in our house connect to the net without havin a server on all the time. ive asked around and some said i could get more out of a linux based router. so here i am.. tryin to research as much as i can to know everythin before i install mandrake 10.

im from manila philippines, and my carrier is globe. ive read u guys configure the vpi and vci code.. but for me i dont know mine.. this is one thing i dont know where to find..

secondly, is the linux based router still possible here? with dial-up server capabilities? or will it just connect me to the net?

hope i could get info from here.. tnx in advance.

[split from lets-eat-gary's thread in Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

I have a Speed touch 550 and it has both USB and LAN ports so for my 1st computer which has only Win2000 on it, I use the USB connection on the 2nd computer (My main and mostly used) which has only Linux on it, I use the LAN connection an it works perfectly. Maybe you can do the same. The USB method to a Linux computer is still a real dogs breakfast (trial) but the LAN method is a dream of simplicity and ease.

The Win connection is easy either way

If yours has both ports then try my idea.

Cheers. John

Sorry Moderators, Forgot that i had already posted this reply. Could not find a way to delete the PREVIOUS post so please feel free if you wish you can delete it for me.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

do you have the speedtouch configured in windows? if yes, what windows version is it?

a linux based router would have an entire computer dedicated to it - any old computer can do. but it needs a usb port if you're using the speedtouch. Of course you can still use the computer like a normal pc, but you need to buy a hub to connect the other PCs. All in all it's much more complicated than buying an ADSL-ethernet router, but it's more customizable and possibly cheaper.

please specify, specifically, what possible network configurations you want...

Guest p-gerry21

ya, im using it now in microsoft xp professional.

reason why i got into this is that, i just want to make the most out of my dsl. ive seen in forums linux based routers like freesco, fedora, and mandrake can make an old pc turn into a dial-up server, quite huge amount of clients, supports redirection, ip banning, can integrate a squid web cache for mamaximize bandwidth, and a whole lotty more. great since i have a pentium 2 desktop here, fit enough to function as a linux based router. and yep it has usb ports. there.. i just want to know if i could do this with mandrake 10 with this speedtouch 330 usb adsl modem.. well, im gona be tryin it out later, see what happens. got all the howtos i need from here and from diff sites. tnx for your replies, and hopin' for more support.

I've made a speedtouch to work under mandrake 10CE (the green frog usb thing), and many people have that too. In XP, you can bring up "internet options" in control panel, "connections" then "properties" of the dsl connection...there would be a number like "0,100" in the phone number and that would be the vpi and vci number.

this is the network setup i suggest:

phone line->speedtouch->PII comp->ethernet hub->all the other PCs

good luck with the howtos...