Mandrake10.0 - Permission Denied Errors on Boot

pmpatrick

Ran into one bug in the mdk 10 install which can be a real problem if you don't know about it. Error Scenario:

I have an existing test partition mounted in mdk9.2 on /mnt/test(/dev/hdf8). Since I don't like to have this partition mounted at boot, I have the "noauto" option on the fstab entry for this partition. I did the mdk10 install using the "Existing Partitions" option. That brought up a screen listing all my linux partitions with their mount points as listed in mdk9.2's fstab. I changed the mount point for hdf8 from /mnt/test to "/" and changed the mdk9.2 "/" to /mnt/mdk9.2. The install went fine but when I rebooted I got numerous errors starting with:

/etc/rc.d/rs.sysinit line 1 (Permission Denied)

/bin/gettext (Permission Denied)

followed by a whole slew of other commands with "Permission Denied".

Booted back to mdk9.2 and checked the permissions on the relevant commands and files, all of which seemed to be in order. Then I took a look at the mdk10 fstab and sure enough the root partition for mdk10 had the "noauto" option in its line. Deleted the "noauto" from that line and I was able to boot into mdk10 w/o any errors.

Moral of the story. When installing on existing partitions which are included in a prior mdk9.2 fstab, the permissions and options in mdk9.2's fstab will be read and preserved in the mdk10 install. Depending on how you have your partitions setup in mdk9.2 this can lead to problems when installing mdk10.