9.2 Download disks can not find driver for CD-rom

frosterrj

Whenever I try to get the cds to boot (3 or 4 completely different set of cds have the same problem), all goes well until after the initial welcome screen (choose F1 or F3 screen), then I get an error before I even get to the first actual install screen. I just get intp a loop for looking for a driver for the device, which doesn't work

This device is a Toshiba XM-1902B , from the boot log I get:

hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA

Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

9.1 disks start up and go right into the install procedure after hitting enter from the welcom screen.

How can I get the boot procedure to see and access the cd drive? WHich driver should I select from the choices or is there some boot parameter I can issue to get around the problem?

How do I get this problem noticed by Madrake Developers at HQ?

Thanks,

Robert

My guess would be a dma issue of some kind. So at the splash screen, hit F1, and type "linux nodma" and see if the install can proceed. The installer has some prblems that a running system does not have.

Thanks for the idea, but the same error occurs. I tried ofther modules and even typed nodma as a parameter if a line came up, but nothing ever worked.

Here is the Alt+F3 and Alt+F4 output:

F3:

Mounting /dev/hdc on /tmp/image as type iso9660

have to insmod isofs

succeeded

mount failed not a directory

F4:

interleaved files not yet supported

Unit size !=0 for isofile (75776).

Status Error = 0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}

Status Error = 0x00

Drive not ready for command.

Does this help?

Thanks,

Robert

Is your hard drive showing up as hda?

Wha is the age of your cdrom device?

Are you burning the iso's with the same burner or media?

Did you md5sum the files before burning?

Do you have plug and play turned off in the bios?

Does your cdrom device register on the bios?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm digging for possiblities!

OK,

looked through the bios, and found no PNP settings, and since this is a PII, it probably didnt even exist when it was made. The only thing close is a setting for the parallel port to auto configure when you put something into it.

My CD drive is in the modular bay and is original to the computer, however old it is - I think from 98 or 99.

Hard drive gets recognised as hda in the logs, cd rom gets recognized as hdc.

CDs are good. ALready used them to install on another machine without problem (desktop). This machine does not have a burner and come from a class and were burned by the instructor. Media is good. 80 min/700MB.

CD rom registered in BIOS? well I can choose it in the boot order section, so I'll have to assume yes, unless you mean in some other way.

THis thing did have IRQ set to 11 for the dock, but I changed that to the optimized setting freeing up and IRQ since I dont have a dock. That did nothing, however, but maybe solved other issues regarding wireless cards, but that's a moot point since harddrake cant even tell theres ethernet in the pcmcia! Which is why I'm trying to re-install fresh.

Anyway, no luck again, even trying expert nodam, linux nodma, then having to select a module for the scsi device (message I get when it cant find the cd rom), and then again trying nodma in the module parameters.

?????

Thanks,

Robert

well I choose the alt1 boot image and was able to sucessfully get to the install screen. I did get a funny message that it uses a 2.2.x kernel and cant load PCMCIA, but that doesnt seem to have been a problem as it loaded eth0, pcmcia and yenta socket and all I had to do was run the internet config in MCC so it could load the DHCP clients and there it was - up and running agian, but with a loss of all data since I re-partitioned my drive.

Something seems to be up with these disks. I sure hope Mandrake developers read these forums. WHat could have changed so drastically in loading the image from 9.1 to 9.2 which caused this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Robert

I'm glad the alternate kernel image worked!

Mandrake is an easy to use distro, but it is also cutting edge in its program selections. I have found versions that are quirky. Later versions do not mean that they necessarily work better!

It is doubt if that anyone from Mandrakesoft reads these forums. They have a rather terse relationship with this board, in that they believe that we are some how endangering their Forum Club memberships, a notion that I cannot logically understand. Mandrake has always had a customer support problem, one that their Club has not resolved.

I'm glad the alternate kernel image worked!

Mandrake is an easy to use distro, but it is also cutting edge in its program selections. I have found versions that are quirky. Later versions do not mean that they necessarily work better!

It is doubt if that anyone from Mandrakesoft reads these forums. They have a rather terse relationship with this board, in that they believe that we are some how endangering their Forum Club memberships, a notion that I cannot logically understand. Mandrake has always had a customer support problem, one that their Club has not resolved.

Or some would even say that their club has caused :D