Problems starting Thunderbird

neddie

I've got the same problem as here, whereby Thunderbird suddenly gives an error on startup. The error is:

Could not initialize the browser's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your browser's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and you hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the browser and fix the problem. If you continue to use this browser session, you might see incorrect browser behaviour when accessing security features.
So I click ok and Thunderbird starts, I can connect and read emails ok, but when I try to send, I just get a failed message saying that
You cannot connect to mail.wherever because SSL is disabled.

There are only two things which might have caused it, since last time Thunderbird ran fine (which was yesterday). Firstly, Mandriva came down hard with a seizure and reboot (thanks, Tuxkart) and I think Thunderbird was open at the time. But I can't find any lockfiles under ~/.thunderbird. Secondly, I did a urpmi update and it pulled down some mozilla-firefox stuff, but no thunderbird stuff.

I've tried doing more updates, with nothing new coming down, I've checked my disk space (loads of space on all partitions), I've hunted through ~/.thunderbird for files that don't belong to me or that aren't read/write and nothing. Oh, and yes I have openssl-0.9.8b-2.2 and libopenssl0.9.8-0.9.8b-2.2 and Firefox has no problems accessing https:// websites.

Any clues? :unsure:

Edited by neddie

I'm wondering if your connection is requiring SSL to be enabled within Thunderbird profile settings. I know some SMTP servers, like Google's gmail require you enable SSL connectivity so that you hit POP3 and SMTP on alternate ports. Or something like this anyway.

No, Thunderbird is giving the error at startup, before it even tries to connect to my mail servers. I'm thinking it's some conflict with the mozilla updates that came down from urpmi.

I also tried launching Thunderbird from the console to see if any more messages came up, but nothing.

funny enough I updated Firefox yesterday & only Firefox. When I restarted thunderbird I had the exact same error. Googling only brought a few ideas which I tried with no luck (deleting the cert8.db file from within the profile seemed the most appropiate of the suggestions - which did not help). After messing around for a couple of hours I decided to d/l Thunderbird 2.0 beta & try with that. Guess what after unpacking the tar in my home folder & running ./thunderbird it located my profile updated a few addons & then opened up without errors. I only use SSL with Gmail so I tried to send-receive with Gmail & all is working (even got GB dictionary working!!) My guess is that Mozilla have changed something in Firefox 1.5.0.10 & this will be corrected with the next thunderbird update - my guess anyways...

So maybe give the beta a go for now?

No, Thunderbird is giving the error at startup, before it even tries to connect to my mail servers. I'm thinking it's some conflict with the mozilla updates that came down from urpmi.

I also tried launching Thunderbird from the console to see if any more messages came up, but nothing.

Ah, OK, my mistake. :sorry:

What version of Firefox is installed:

rpm -qa | grep firefox

although you prob know all these commands already :)

Solved! :thumbs:

Tried rebooting, tried removing the cert8.db file, still nothing. Then I tried another urpmi.update -a and there was another set of updates for mozilla-firefox, libmozilla-firefox, libnss3 and libnspr4. And bingo!

Thunderbird starts without errors, and I can send mail again! :D