LinkSys Wireless and Mandrake?

Relic2K

Anyone running this combination with Mandrake 9.1 yet; ?

BEFW11S4 Linksys wireless router,

WUSB11 (USB Wireless Adapter),

I have my windows clients running fine now, with out any disconnections, but I wanted to get some

feedback on using this hardware with Mandrake Linux. Thanks for the input.

Check out linux-wlan.org for an extensive list of wireless adapters and the linux drivers reported to work with them. According to the list, one version of the WUSB11 is tested to work, but a newer version isn't. I guess the suggestion then is to figure out which version you have and go from there.

I looks as if the USB Adapter is supported, and I actually found a mandrake package in the Cooker Archive for this driver. Now it is just the matter of getting it up and running. I think I will be documenting this one and adding to my site, on how to setup Wireless. Thanks and I will keep everyone informed as to how things go.

It's a miracle!

I have a Linksys WPC 11 version 3 wireless card. (I understand the ver. 4 card won't work).

I simply plugged in the card into my Toshiba 5005-S507, went to the Mandrake Control Center>Network & Internet>Drakconnect

and used the Wizard.

I already had eth0 configured to work with a CAT5 cable connected anywhere.

The wizard picked up immediately on my card and configured it automatically in a few seconds.

I then rebooted, opened mozilla, went to several websites because I couldn't believe it....

and VOILA...I REALLY WAS on the internet!!!!

Wireless card on eth1.

Before I had to go to the website listed below to get the card working in MDK9.0 and 9.1, where I found a simpler solution than downloading the wlan-ng driver:

http://linux.oldcrank.com/tips/wpc11/index.php

This site will still be helpful to those who use this card and find the wlan driver too complicated (like me) and are still using 9.0 and 9.1.

I just wanted to share my excitement!!!

Cheers,

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

• 2 months later...

lawsonrc

I have been battling to get my wireless card to work under mandrake 9.2, i was successful in 9.0 and 9.1, however i can not get this card to work in 9.2. It is a Linksys WPC 11 version 3 wireless card too and i have done a clean install w/ it in the pcmcia slot as well as an install w/o it in it Here is basically what i did, i installed the wireless tools and inserted the card. However in the control center shows no sign of the card as well as drakconnect.

cardctl ident produces no product information avaliable and on boot up it gives the beep then bonk ya know which means it not detected. I have googled my brains out over this and searched many other forums. This post i see is a couple of months old but hopefully some1 will read it and can give me a boost.

Good morning, digitalboi,

What is the make and model of your laptop? It may be that the 9.2 version may not be working properly due to some kind of incompatibility that wasn't in the 9.0 and 9.1 version.

Now with 9.0 and 9.1, I used the info at the link I mentioned earlier in this thread [the "oldcrank" one].

Have you tried to use it? There are two solutions there. One of these solutions is the "easy" one without using the wlan stuf; and the other is the more complex one, using the wlan stuff.

If you haven't already, try both solutions on that website.

I hope I've helped you a little. Since I'm very "nontechnical", I'm not able to think of any other solutions.

Good luck, and if you have success (or not), please reply again.

Sincerely

Richard L.

• 1 year later...
Guest thirtyeast
Anyone running this combination with Mandrake 9.1 yet; ?

BEFW11S4 Linksys wireless router,

WUSB11 (USB Wireless Adapter)

I had wusb11 v2.6 working on mdk 9.1 (& 9.2).. not having so much luck with 10.1 (same hardeware)