Best Reliable Long-term Data Storage Media

tux99

Since many of my less computer literate friends just store their digital camera pics and camcorder recordings on their desktop or laptop hard disk (with no backup!), I though it could be useful writing an article on how to store these files safely for the long term, otherwise I fear there will be a whole generation of kids that don't have childhood pics since their parents lost all the photos when the hard disk died... :sad:

How do you store your photos and personal files?

Anyone keeps at least 2 or even 3 backups in diverse locations?

Here's the article:

Best Reliable Long-term Data Storage Media

Edited by tux99

I've been unlucky enough to loose a few drives. Once I lost the mbr and couldn't boot. I used a live dvd to get the data off that drive. I had a drive fail in my XBOX-Based on pc components, and I've had sectors go bad in another.

I should also state that I don't erase pictures off the memory card in my camera. When it's full I just replace it. A current memory card holds over 1000 pictures, but costs the same as a roll of conventional film, so I think it's money well spent to simply use a new card.

So when I set out to build my current desktop in 2008 data security was on top of my priorities. I had been using an external usb drive to do regular backups, and burn critical files to a dvd that is stored at another location in case my desktop and usb drive are completely destroyed.

Now I have one drive that I use for my OS, and another two in a mirrored raid array purely for data. I still do regular backups to an external drive, and do the occasional DVD backup and store at another location.

Loosing any of my financial/study data would be horrific, but loosing pictures etc. is simply not an option.