my opinion about Mandriva 2010 Beta

Guest tony_almeida

Guest tony_almeida

Congratulations Mandriva group

I am testing Mandriva 2010 beta

Although I am new user in Linux I used Mandriva 2010 beta easily

Mandriva 2010 Beta is so fast, you did great job

Here is my suggestions about Mandriva 2010

*There are no description in individual packages, it explains things like "important, very nice, nice, maybe..." You can be professional linux user but you can't know everything about linux, so it is important point

*Installer must have some themes, I like dark themes and somebody may like bright themes so there must be some option we can change the theme of installer

*The installer must ask if I am a home user or a server because in the individual packages I see some server options selected by default. And it should ask which type of computer do I have(desktop, laptop, netbook)

*I want to change block size when format my hard disks, it is possible in some other distributions but unfortunately it is not possible in Mandriva, I know it is not important point but maybe u should try

*There must be an option that we can search packages with description in Mandriva Control Center Package Manager, it only search things by name. This stuff is most important like hell

Some Bugs

*my installer freezes when I click test button on graphic hardware settings

*my installer freezes when I click reboot button in the end

*when I use compiz it my window decoration disappear

*something is wrong in KDE 4.3, when I hover an icon on desktop it automatically show previews in spite of I closed show previews option in desktop settings but I know it isn't about Mandriva, it is about KDE because I got same problem on another KDE 4.3 distribution

that is it, thank you again, sorry for horrible terrible English, I try to learn

have the best days and nights

Some Bugs

*my installer freezes when I click test button on graphic hardware settings

*my installer freezes when I click reboot button in the end

*when I use compiz it my window decoration disappear

*something is wrong in KDE 4.3, when I hover an icon on desktop it automatically show previews in spite of I closed show previews option in desktop settings but I know it isn't about Mandriva, it is about KDE because I got same problem on another KDE 4.3 distribution

This is a beta release.  Have you relayed your findings to Mandriva?  Don't forget to include your machine specs. Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Congratulations Mandriva group

*There must be an option that we can search packages with description in Mandriva Control Center Package Manager, it only search things by name. This stuff is most important like hell

Hi Tony,

First, welcome aboard! :)

Thanks for the review. As Nexus mentioned, we encourage you to share these findings with Mandriva. Regarding the search in MCC Package Manager - I couldn't agree more. I remember it was possible in Mandriva 2007, but somewhere along the way they removed this feature (probably to improve responsiveness), but I think it is mandatory.

It is still possible to search the descriptions of packages, but it is well hidden (which is also a bug). By default rpmdrake will only search the name. Click on the magnifying glass (see attached picture) and you can choose between names, descriptions, summaries and file-names.

Thanks for that pindakoe. I never thought to click the binoculars! :lol2:

Guest tony_almeida
It is still possible to search the descriptions of packages, but it is well hidden (which is also a bug). By default rpmdrake will only search the name. Click on the magnifying glass (see attached picture) and you can choose between names, descriptions, summaries and file-names.

I didn't notice it, thank you very much pindakoe because that was most important stuff

by the way how can I relay my findings to Mandriva? as I mentioned I am new user in Linux