ext4 driver for windows

scarecrow

The question is as above...

To my rather poor knowledge, ext4 partitions are readable under windows by the known drivers for ext2/3, but for achieving that you must disable barriers (no problem, I've already disabled that) as well as extents (which is an issue- it pretty much defies the usage of ext4).

I wouldn't mind a read-only driver, writing to ext4 is not a priority... but being able to read my ext4 partitions on the rare instances I boot into windozeXP would be handy.

And yeah, I know about the bugs that still are present on ext4, and that for certain things reiser 3.6 is rather faster, but I've converted to ext4 and I do not want to go back- at least until ButterFS gets some sort of reliability.

If this is OK for you, maybe you could have your XP in VirtualBox instead of rebooting to XP ; then using VB's shared folders, you would have access from XP to any host folder/drive you want.

Yves.

I can already boot my XP installation both physically and as a virtual machine. Currently working with VMWare 6.5.2, but I'm considering switching to VirtualBox 3, once it will become less buggy.

I more or less followed the tutorial in Vbox forums ( http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9697 ) with just a couple of adaptations.

However, I still need a few times to boot XP natively, as DirectX support is still incomplete in VMWare, and in VirtualBox it was just implemented, and many nuts and bolts are loose.

Edited by scarecrow