Weird problem with mounted NCP/novell cluster vol.

theYinYeti

I have a very strange problem with a mounted NCP share (remote Novell clustered volume).

Directories are there, but not files!

I mount the share with autofs, but the same happens with mount, or directly with ncpmount. Example mount command:

mount -t ncp -o tcp,ipserver=SERVER,volume=VOL,multiple,uid=501,gid=500,filemode=0664,dirmode=07
75,passwd=PW,codepage=cp850,iocharset=utf8 SERVER/USER test/

(all parts in capitals were substituted).

A “find -noleaf ! -type d†in test/ returns nothing.

Stranger still: I can create and delete a file but I don't see it happen! Example: I ran “touch test/SOME/DIR/test_fileâ€, and a coworker on Windows could see the file, but I could not! And I ran “rm -f test/SOME/DIR/test_file†and my co-worker reported to me that the file disappeared! Neither command gave any error.

Yves.

[edit]Corrected typo: “find†returns nothing when looking for non-directories.[/edit]

Edited by theYinYeti

I have a very strange problem with a mounted NCP share (remote Novell clustered volume).

Directories are there, but not files!

I mount the share with autofs, but the same happens with mount, or directly with ncpmount. Example mount command:

mount -t ncp -o tcp,ipserver=SERVER,volume=VOL,multiple,uid=501,gid=500,filemode=0664,dirmode=07
75,passwd=PW,codepage=cp850,iocharset=utf8 SERVER/USER test/

(all parts in capitals were substituted).

A “find -noleaf -type d†in test/ returns nothing.

Stranger still: I can create and delete a file but I don't see it happen! Example: I ran “touch test/SOME/DIR/test_fileâ€, and a coworker on Windows could see the file, but I could not! And I ran “rm -f test/SOME/DIR/test_file†and my co-worker reported to me that the file disappeared! Neither command gave any error.

Yves.

Looks like some authorisation-issue.

Like, are there browse-rights or something in Novell?

I don't know if that's any help, but here's some more information.

Where I work, we were previously using Novell from server NV1, and now data is being moved to clustered volumes on server NV2.

On Windows boot, here's the current login log:

Contexte actuel : CO.NTE.XT

Utilisateur : USER Contexte : CO.NTE.XT
Arborescence actuelle : TREE
Vous êtes attaché au serveur NV1.
 Nous sommes aujourd'hui Mercredi 20 Mai 2009  

BIENVENUE SUR LE SERVEUR		NV1			 

Votre identification est 001F160E9D36					
Authentification sur le serveur NV2.
Unité P : = NV2\DATA: \
Authentification sur le serveur NV3.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430 : impossible de terminer l'opération d'assignation d'unités.
 [U:=NV3/USR:] 
le code d'erreur était 8804.
S1: = Z:. [NV1_SYS.:PUBLIC \]
Unité Q : = NV1_SYS.:PUBLIC\
Unité R : = NV2\DATA:SUB\DIR \
Les unités C,D correspondent à un disque local.
Unité F : = NV1_SYS.:\
Unité P : = NV2\DATA: \
Unité Q : = NV1_SYS.:PUBLIC\
Unité R : = NV2\DATA:SUB\DIR \
L'unité X correspond à un disque local.
  -----   Unités de recherche   -----
S1: = C:\Applications\Java\jdk16\bin
S2: = C:\WINDOWS\system32
S3: = C:\WINDOWS
S4: = C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
S5: = C:\WINDOWS\system32\nls
S6: = C:\WINDOWS\system32\nls\FRANCAIS
S7: = Y:. [NV1_SYS.:PUBLIC \]
S8: = Z:. [NV1_SYS.:PUBLIC \]

And here's exactly the contents of my /etc/autofs/auto.ncpfs file:

NV2 -fstype=ncpfs,tcp,ipserver=NV2,volume=data,multiple,uid=501,gid=500,filemode=0664
,dirmode=0775,passwd=PW,codepage=cp850,iocharset=utf8   :NV2/USER.CO.NTE.XT
NV1 -fstype=ncpfs,multiple,uid=501,gid=500,filemode=0664,dirmode=0775,passwd=PW
,codepage=cp850,iocharset=utf8   :NV1/USER.CO.NTE.XT

Also, this line is ran on boot by /etc/rc.d/rc.local: “ipx_configure --auto_interface=on --auto_primary=onâ€

NV1 works OK.

NV2 does not: I see directories, but no files, although I have access to them. For example, I could open a PDF file I knew was there (gnome-open /path/to/file.pdf), even though I could not see the file! As told before, I can also (blindly) create and delete files.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

I corrected a typo in the first post. Still no idea? The access from Linux seems to match that from windows, but maybe my second post will help someone spot a permission issue, a difference somewhere that could explain the strange behaviour…

Yves.

I only notice a difference in your fstype part of your line - I'm assuming there's a reason why it is different to that of NV1 which is working? If not, maybe make it the same as NV1 and see if it works any better?

I don't have access to a Novell machine right now, so can't test it.

Thank you for answering Ian :)

There is indeed a reason for the two lines to be different.

On the IP side, both machines are seen:

[yves@work ~]$ ping N1
PING N1.workdomain (x.x.x.x1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from N1.workdomain (x.x.x.x1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=1.42 ms
64 bytes from N1.workdomain (x.x.x.x1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.389 ms
^C
--- N1.workdomain ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1923ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.389/0.908/1.428/0.520 ms
[yves@work ~]$ ping N2
PING N2.workdomain (x.x.x.x2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from x.x.x.x2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.378 ms
64 bytes from x.x.x.x2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.396 ms
^C
--- N2.workdomain ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1505ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.378/0.387/0.396/0.009 ms

Now, I notice that ping “64 bytes…†lines look different for the second server. I don't know if there's any meaning to this.

On the NCP side of things, though, N2 is unknown, which is no surprise because I've read that clustered volumes only work in IP mode because they use a capability of IP that the Novell protocol does not have:

[root@work ~]# slist

Known NetWare File Servers		  Network   Node Address
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
N1										0534FA74  000000000001
NA										0B6DB224  000000000001
NB										00008657  000000000001

So, for N2, I have to use the “tcp†and “ipserver†mount options, which give the IP sub-protocol to use and the DNS mapping for the given Novell logical name.

For the record, here's the output of mount without those options:

[root@work ~]# mount -t ncp -o volume=data,multiple,uid=501,gid=500,filemode=0664,dirmode=0775,passwd=PW,codepa
ge=cp850,iocharset=utf8 N2/USER.CO.NTE.XT test/
mount.ncp: Server not found (0x8847) when trying to find N2

As for the “volume=†mount option, it is because I've read that this option is mandatory for clustered volumes, unless you want to see the administration volume (or something like that; I'm far from an expert in this area); for non-clustered volumes, ncpfs' default without this option is to mount all volumes (as sub-directories) under a single mount-point. And indeed, until I added this option, the contents of N2's mount point would remain “_admin/†and “sys/â€, which has nothing to do with the contents I need.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to solve this by myself, I tried and logged to the Novell machines in a way as close as possible to what Windows PCs do.

I tried to mimick what a Windows user sees on their Novell login window, as well as the sequence of operations : first login, then map the drives. So I tried this :

ncplogin -T TREE -X CO.NTE.XT -E -U USER.CO.NTE.XT -u 501 -g 500 -P PW -f 0664 -d 0775 -y utf8 -p cp850 -i 3
ncpmap -S NV2 -A NV2 -o tcp -X CO.NTE.XT -E -V DATA -f 0664 -d 0775 -y utf8 -p cp850 -i 2 -a

and this :

ncplogin -S NV2 -A NV2 -o tcp -X CO.NTE.XT -E -U USER.CO.NTE.XT -u 501 -g 500 -P PW -f 0664 -d 0775 -y utf8 -p cp850
ncpmap -S NV2 -A NV2 -o tcp -X CO.NTE.XT -E -V DATA -f 0664 -d 0775 -y utf8 -p cp850 -i 2 -a

Both sets “workedâ€, although the first set of commands does not anymore… I suppose I was lucky, and “ncplogin -T†only worked because I had connected before ; now I get “failed:Cannot attach to tree TREE. Err:Server not found (0x8847)â€.

Anyway, whatever the commands I use, I still get the same result : I can browse directories, create, open and delete files, BUT I cannot browse files (see them in Nautilus or command-line)…

And ncpfs hasn't got a web site, and wasn't updated since 2005. This is getting depressing.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

• 2 months later...

I've got a quite stable setup now. Unfortunately, I was unable to do anything using ncpfs. Only the official Novell client for Linux seems able to connect to this clustered Novell volume correctly! And I was not able to use this client with Mandriva.

The setup is such:

— A very minimal trimmed-down opensuse virtual machine in VirtualBox (64MB RAM, 2MB VideoRAM, 3GB HardDisk, NAT, 800x600x32, IceWM).

— In this opensuse, the display manager is disabled, and IceWM is started directly as the single existing user (“yvesâ€) from the /etc/inittab file, along with ncl_autologin.

— In the XML file for this virtual machine (~/.VirtualBox/Machines/opensuse/opensuse.xml), inside the XPath “/VirtualBox/Machine/ExtraDataâ€, I added this for redirecting ports from the host to the guest:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/smb/HostPort" value="1445"/>
     <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/smb/GuestPort" value="1445"/>
     <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/smb/Protocol" value="TCP"/>
     <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/smbu/HostPort" value="1445"/>
     <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/smbu/GuestPort" value="1445"/>
     <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/smbu/Protocol" value="UDP"/>

— In the opensuse guest, I setup Samba this way:

[global]
       security = SHARE
       smb ports = 1445
       map to guest = Bad User
       guest account = yves
       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
       max log size = 50
       unix extensions = No
       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
       load printers = No
       local master = No
       dns proxy = No
       wins proxy = No
       wins support = No
       veto files = /.unison/

[novell]
       comment = Novell mounts
       path = /var/opt/novell/nclmnt/yves
       force user = yves
       guest only = Yes
       guest ok = Yes
       case sensitive = Yes
       hide dot files = No
       read only = No
       delete readonly = Yes

— On the Mandriva host, I use autofs, and this line connects to the virtual machine's Novell share (adapt options to your situation):

suse_novell  -fstype=cifs,port=1445,uid=500,gid=500,noperm,noacl,nounix,iocharset=utf8  ://localhost/Novell

There only remained to automate things, so :

— I created the following script, auto-started by Gnome (but I also have an icon on the panel for restarting it in case of problem):

#!/bin/bash

opensuseFile=~/.VirtualBox/Machines/opensuse/opensuse.xml
uuid=sed -n '/<Machine/{s/^.*uuid="{\([^"]*\)}".*$/\1/p;Q}' "$opensuseFile"

if /sbin/ifconfig | grep -F adr:160.14. &>/dev/null; then
if ! pidof VirtualBox &>/dev/null; then
	VirtualBox &
	sleep 3s
fi
if VBoxManage list runningvms | grep -Fx "$uuid" &>/dev/null; then
	VBoxManage controlvm opensuse poweroff
	sleep 2s
fi
VBoxManage startvm opensuse
sleep 3s
sed -n 's~^.*<ExtraDataItem name="\(VBoxInternal/[^"]*\)" value="\([^"]*\)"/>.*$~\1 \2~p' "$opensuseFile" \
| while read var val; do
	VBoxManage setextradata opensuse "$var" "$val"
done
sleep 120s

# Enter password on ncl_autologin prompt; don't forget key releases.
# See: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-1.html
VBoxManage controlvm opensuse keyboardputscancode xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
fi &

— I created the following script, for which I have a launcher on the panel, to stop the PC:

#!/bin/bash

sudo /sbin/service autofs stop
sleep 3s

if pidof VirtualBox &>/dev/null; then
 # Ctrl+Echap
 VBoxManage controlvm opensuse keyboardputscancode 1d 01 81 9d
 sleep 1s
 # Up
 VBoxManage controlvm opensuse keyboardputscancode e0 48 e0 c8
 sleep 1s
 # Right
 VBoxManage controlvm opensuse keyboardputscancode e0 4d e0 cd
 sleep 1s
 # Down, Down, Down
 VBoxManage controlvm opensuse keyboardputscancode e0 50 e0 d0
 sleep 1s
 # Enter ("Stop computer" in IceWM)
 VBoxManage controlvm opensuse keyboardputscancode 1c 9c

while [ $(VBoxManage list runningvms 2>/dev/null | tail --lines +5 | wc -l) -gt 0 ]; do sleep 1s; done
 killall VirtualBox
fi
halt

— Which in turn needed that I gave myself the right to stop autofs; this is done in visudo by specifying this line (a more specific right can be written but this was enough for me):

yves localhost=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/service

Maybe this will help someone with a similar need… This is far from perfect, and I wish Novell would stop doing SuSe-only “driversâ€.

Yves.