Firefox 3.0.10 released

Greg2

I've got it downloaded now and installed manually in Debian since Iceweasel (theoretically Firefox rebranded) doesn't work correctly.

However, if Mandy haven't packaged it and your system hasn't updated, then you can do this.

Download the tar from mozilla website for the version of Firefox you want - US, UK or whatever language. I downloaded to /home/ian/Downloads for the sake of this post.

Open console window and do:

su (enter root password when prompted)
cd /usr/local
tar xvjf /home/ian/Downloads/firefox-3.1.0.tar.bz2

this will create firefox directory in /usr/local. Then just do:

file /usr/bin/firefox

to find out if there is a symlink here, you can then rename this or remove, and then do:

ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

and then you have Firefox up-to-date. What you can then do is:

cd /usr/local/firefox
mv plugins plugins.old
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /usr/local/firefox/plugins

that way you can use the Mandy repos for installing plugins, and they will be accessible in your manually downloaded Firefox. You may need to check if it is actually /usr/lib/mozilla or another name since a few exist - just check where all your plugins exist right now for Java, Flash etc in your existing Firefox install.

I've got it downloaded now and installed manually in Debian since Iceweasel (theoretically Firefox rebranded) doesn't work correctly.

However, if Mandy haven't packaged it and your system hasn't updated, then you can do this.

Download the tar from mozilla website for the version of Firefox you want - US, UK or whatever language. I downloaded to /home/ian/Downloads for the sake of this post.

Open console window and do:

su (enter root password when prompted)
cd /usr/local
tar xvjf /home/ian/Downloads/firefox-3.1.0.tar.bz2

this will create firefox directory in /usr/local. Then just do:

file /usr/bin/firefox

to find out if there is a symlink here, you can then rename this or remove, and then do:

ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

and then you have Firefox up-to-date. What you can then do is:

cd /usr/local/firefox
mv plugins plugins.old
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /usr/local/firefox/plugins

that way you can use the Mandy repos for installing plugins, and they will be accessible in your manually downloaded Firefox. You may need to check if it is actually /usr/lib/mozilla or another name since a few exist - just check where all your plugins exist right now for Java, Flash etc in your existing Firefox install.

Ian, I presume that by installing manually like this, that there will no longer be updates through the Mandriva repos to suit MY install? So, it becomes my responsibility to watch for further updates?

Ian, I presume that by installing manually like this, that there will no longer be updates through the Mandriva repos to suit MY install? So, it becomes my responsibility to watch for further updates?

Correct. However, if you chmod 777 the directory /usr/local/firefox then you will be able to update it as user within the program itself.

The only issue that could concern you are compatibility issues with already installed libs, e.g. xulrunner and gtk2, but generally there should be no worries.

if you chmod 777 the directory /usr/local/firefox then you will be able to update it as user within the program itself.

And open a huge can of security issues....

I absolutely wouldn't recommend a chmod 777 of your browser binaries!!

You might as well use Windows...

Edited by tux99

Ok guys, I'll run through how I did it.

Downloaded firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2 to my desktop

as root

cd /usr/lib
tar xvjf /home/matthew/Desktop/firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2

Then in konqueror as root renamed /usr/lib/firefox to /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10....I should have done this through CLI, but I was unsure how to do it..Would "mv firefox firefox-3.0.10" work for a directory?

I couldn't link this to /usr/bin/firefox for some reason, so again in konqueror as root I renamed /usr/bin/firefox as firefox.old

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10 /usr/bin/firefox
cd /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10
mv plugins plugins.old
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/plugins

The firefox icon opens firefox3.0.10, and all my bookmarks are preserved. Home page isn't right, but I'll look into that.

And open a huge can of security issues....

I absolutely wouldn't recommend a chmod 777 of your browser binaries!!

You might as well use Windows...

I did think that in the first time...

" Posted May 1 2009, 02:43 PM

Use 3.5 beta4 instead. Faster, using less resources, very stable, and way more customizable.

It isn't in the repos yet, nor it will be until 2010.0, but it really kicks ass."

my question is why there going to leave it out of 2009.0 and 2009.1 repositories and put it on the 2010.0? they should know that firefox y almost releasing the 3.1 version

check out this links...they're in beta3 already

here and here

if somebody can explain it to me because sounds weird ~_~

Ok guys, I'll run through how I did it.

Downloaded firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2 to my desktop

as root

cd /usr/lib
tar xvjf /home/matthew/Desktop/firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2

Then in konqueror as root renamed /usr/lib/firefox to /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10....I should have done this through CLI, but I was unsure how to do it..Would "mv firefox firefox-3.0.10" work for a directory?

I couldn't link this to /usr/bin/firefox for some reason, so again in konqueror as root I renamed /usr/bin/firefox as firefox.old

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10 /usr/bin/firefox
cd /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10
mv plugins plugins.old
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/plugins

The firefox icon opens firefox3.0.10, and all my bookmarks are preserved. Home page isn't right, but I'll look into that.

To get the home page up

mv browserconfig.properties browserconfig.properties.old
cp /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.8/bowserconfig.properties /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/browserconfig.properties

Logged out, logged in, and the desired home page was up. If anyone knows if this can be done easier, please advise.

You don't need to chmod 777, just ensure the folder is owned by the user who wants to update it, or you could make a group and add the users to the group so that multiple users could update it. Much safer than a chmod 777.

Alternatively, when an update becomes available, run Firefox as root and update it.

Firefox 3.010 is now in repos. > Advisories MDVSA-2009:111: firefox

Yet to show on my mirrors.

Thanks xboxboy, took some time, but eventually everything comes in place. ;)