How to change refresh rate

Guest BigDaddy

Guest BigDaddy

How do I change the refresh rate and/or resolution for games like TUXRACER? In games like Chromium the resolution can be easily changed since theres an option in the game but how can I change the refresh rate for this game and also for linux desktop? Curently Im running 1024*768@85HZ but the monitor is capable of 100HZ at 1024*768

There is a program called xvidtune...it's included with Xfree86-server I believe...It won't save the values, but will print them out....You have to past the values it gives you (after you've set your screen like you want graphically) in /etc/Xfree86Config-4 ..soemting like that. I've used it too center my screen.

It gives a warning in teh beginning, but you can try...

Is this good enough or do you need something else?

Guest GorGor

I can't run tux due to my craTTy card but have you tried holding down the control alt keys and then pressing the number pad PLUS or MINUS keys?

This works for me on IceWM.

The xf86cfg does the same sort of stuff as the xvidtune but you can do it interactively AND save the modelines it generates.

This allows you to mess about and centre the screen etc. when you sometimes get a compressed image not using all your screen.

It isn't installed by default (ho hum) but you can urpmi it!

There is one other utility who's name I forget that also does this....