9.2 late ?

GodFlesh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some official information here:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...stimation_WarLy

I agree that i would like a more tested distribution, with a final OOo, and great working Gnome 2.4.

There is no info on official release of OOo 1.1

I would find it logical that mandrake put a RC3 release with final gnome and OOo before they ship 9.2

few number of updates of packages?

gnome 2.4 will be in there (i'm a gnome person ;-) )

the 2.6.0-test kernel is on it, isn't it? i don't remember

Mandrake sticks to their release cycle pretty tightly, regardless of number of upgrades. they'll make the updates after the initial release i'm sure. but who are we to speculate what's going on behind Mandrake's doors. The release will come, we'll get it, it'll have what it'll have, and everyone will go on living ;-)

Well I will prefer they waited to test out better of GNOME 2.4 and among other things (OpenOffice 1.1, KDE 3.1.4, etc.). Seriously, the incentives to upgrade is much less than 9.1 given the few number of updates of packages.

Personally, I rather hope they actually wait until its a bit less buggy than 9.1 was.

It doesn't do them any good to rush by a month or even two ...

tyme, if you want 2.6 just get it from the cooker or better still kernels.org !!

Why ...

Well, you know what your doing and can compile it, install it etc. but I would guess 90% of those clamouring for a 9.2 release are those like yourself with an advanced knowledge...

They now have (along with 400MB of updates) a stable 9.1 and they might do better to sell that with a free 9.2 once its stable???I.e. Sell a 9.1 -> 9.2 version now but include the patches etc.

This has 2 benefits...

First they generate some revenue now

Second they don't release a product that might just put off some potential long term customers!

They can even put a 9.2 preview and cooker stuff in! as an optional 'unsafe' look!

By all accounts it looks good but I doubt much functionaility will be added, at least the Duval interview indicated not :D

9.1 had some rather critical problems which are all very well if your a distro ho. and just want a look but many people will be buying linux for the first time.

I agree with your assesment that Rc3 is unlikely to come but anyone who just want to look can download rc2 in the meantime but at least anyone downloading it SHOULD understand its still a late beta.

Do you buy it because you do not have broadband or to support them ?

I think becoming a club member is giving more money to mdk than buying the CD.

Im gonna save up for Mandy 10.

I saw this big real funny sign the other day. It was on one of those big bins, skips.

it read

'GET YOUR OWN BIN FREELOADERS"

ANyway i though that was funny, it was at the time

JAmes

Do you buy it because you do not have broadband or to support them ?

I think becoming a club member is giving more money to mdk than buying the CD.

Downloading their product is not giving them much support. I am on dial-up, so downloading is impossible, but that is not the reason I buy the products. I buy them, because I am serious about Linux and the Open Source and they need money to maintain a great product.

Buying a box is the best way of supporting them. In the battle against windows, it's sales that matter. Mandy might make more money from the Club, but nobody cares how many members the club has.

How many boxes did M$ sell vs. how many boxes did Manday sell? That is the hard question that drives the industry.

Your point is valid though, and joining the club is great, but I think that buying a box is better (why not do both, if you can)?

Im gonna save up for Mandy 10.

Solid thinking, I might wait for that...

Sorry, this is all a little off-topic.

:?

few number of updates of packages?

gnome 2.4 will be in there (i'm a gnome person ;-) )

the 2.6.0-test kernel is on it, isn't it?  i don't remember

Mandrake sticks to their release cycle pretty tightly, regardless of number of upgrades.  they'll make the updates after the initial release i'm sure.  but who are we to speculate what's going on behind Mandrake's doors.  The release will come, we'll get it, it'll have what it'll have, and everyone will go on living ;-)

gnome 2.4 is already in cooker so yeah, kde is still 3.1.3 and oo.o is still rc4 (but rc5 source packages are reportedly on some mirrors sooooo...) 2.6-test5 in in contrib (and it booted a lot further than 2.6-test4 :)

From the cooker mailing list:

Subject: [Cooker] 9.2 ISOs has been sent  

Date: 24 Sep 2003 10:36:12 -0000  

Which means that if no major critical bugs are found in the next few

days, it will be considered as final.

Thanks to all who have participated in 9.21, the mandrake linux

distribution is becoming more and more a community project, and I am

really happy with that.

When we will be sure these ISOs are really final, that is to say by

the end of next week, club members and contributors should have

exclusive access to the download edition ISOs.

For others ISOs will be freely available worldwide by the end of october.

--  

Warly

http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-09/

For others ISOs will be freely available worldwide by the end of october.

:shock: I don't believe it.

OMG! They wouldn't!

THEY WOULDN"T

ANd he said:

the mandrake linux  

distribution is becoming more and more a community project, and I am  

really happy with that.

Yeh!! Releasing the ISOs to us LATER is real community minded!!

Community minded my ass!!

Oh well some club member is bound to upload it.

:shock: