Root partition full, can't figure out why

T0ken

Something weird happened last night on my desktop PC. I can't remember exactly what it was that I was doing, but I think I was trying to user krdc to connect to a server I setup here. Out of nowhere, the screen locked up and went black except for my conky instance I had running (this usually happens when I'm shutting down or rebooting, but here the PC froze).

So I then tried to reboot. The boot fails with a few errors:

Mounting local filesystems:  can't create lock file /etc/mtab~1451:  No space left on device (use -n flag to override)  [FAILED]

INIT:  Entering runlevel:  5
Entering non-interactive startup
/etc/rc.d/rc:  line 73:  /var/run/runlevel.dir:  No space left on device
Cannot create temporary file !

So what I did was burn a One 2009.1 beta CD and loaded it up. I mount the / partition so I can check it out and see why it's all of a sudden full. When I right-click on the folder representing the mounted / partition and select properties, it shows only about 939 MB being used, but "device usage" at the bottom is "0 B free of 4.3 GB (100% used)." How can this be?

I've also checked each folder in the mounted / partition, and together they all seem to total approx. 928 MB. I cannot, for some reason check the "/root" folder in the mounted partition though. Maybe it's all in there? I don't know, but maybe you guys have some ideas on what could be causing this?

Let me say that, I'm using LVM across two SATA drives on this install, and I should easily be able to just increase the size of the root partition. But when I try to resize the partition, it tells me all data on the partition will be erased. Is this because LVM support is not available on the One CDs?

My guess is that either LVM is not configured properly, or you're using an early 2.6.28 kernel (quite likely the case with 2009.1 beta) with ext4 as root filesystem.

ext4 looks like being the filesystem of choice for the future, but it still has many unresolved bus, one of them being the one you encounter. Hopefully the coming 2.6.29 will slash most of them.

I'm using 2.6.29-desktop-0.rc6.1.1mnb.

Why would you think LVM is not configured properly? Just curious, b/c it had been working for a few days with no problem. Then all of a sudden since last night, I can't boot this machine and it's telling me root is full.

FYI instead of dealing with this, I've decided to simply reinstall, while holding on to my /home partition. I didn't delete this post just in case someone else happens upon this problem, that way we'll know it whether or not it was due to my Linux-newb status.

• 2 weeks later...