Debian "lenny" released

Debian is just a class act, sure, it may not be cutting edge (stable), and in fact already behind the times at release, but it is a good stable OS, and IMO, a credit to Linux. I'll be installing this weekend, and messing around with a couple of the live cd's in the mean time.

I'll be installing this weekend, and messing around with a couple of the live cd's in the mean time.
Yeah, it's interesting that they've got live Debian CDs this time, I think that's the first time they've done it.

I've got the i386 gnome one and was playing around with it yesterday. Seems very slick. And I don't care too much about OOo3 because I still use 2 here on Mandriva 2008.1 (maybe I just don't know what I'm missing!)

Sure. :) I already use Debian actually; it is good.

I just find this particular choice strange, as OOo3 has great features for companies over v2, even though it currently has a bug with MSXML that forces me to still use v2…

Yves.

Yeah, it's interesting that they've got live Debian CDs this time, I think that's the first time they've done it.

I'm using the live KDE now, it's very good, feels quite snappy, can't wait to get this installed,

hmmm, maybe I should call in sick tomorrow :mr-green:

I did a dist-upgrade on one of my servers this week .. no major problems.

Dspam no longer starts out of the box as it tries to open a privileged port .. quick change of dspam.conf fixes that.

I haven't seen any other errors so far . .sweet

I did a dist-upgrade on one of my servers this week .. no major problems.

Was it easy / straightforward? I thought I'd have a quick look at the upgrade instructions but there was so much in there and so much which I didn't understand, I haven't upgraded my Etch yet. I was thinking it might be easier / less painful to just do a minimal install from CD (which was how I installed etch) rather than try to upgrade... :unsure:

Normally the upgrade process just needs a change to /etc/apt/sources.list to pick up lenny instead of etch, and then just doing:

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade
aptitude dist-upgrade

and you should in theory be done. You might get questions for updating config files, etc, but this is normal.

I was just about to test it in vmware, but when it was selecting mirrors it was sitting at 37 percent and doing nothing, so I've aborted for now, and will try another time.

right now i am using my first debian distro outside of ubuntu, http://pureos.org/index.php?lang=english i like the speed but im struggling with it, and yet again mandy is the only one that can work my printer correctly, i just type the ip adress thing or port or w/e and then it auto detects HP Color LasterJet CM 1312 NFI MFD and downloads the driver for me, i havn't tried a distro yet that was able to even work my printer (fedora, pureos) sytamatics is basic but its a little rougher on ease of use, its usuable and it doesn't take FOREVER like fedora but i still perfer rpmdrake.Openoffice 2.4 is a bit old, and i almost got my nvidia driver installed (im working on it in my free time) but im going back to mandy cuz its just too much, pureos is a beutiful os that is fast as hell, but its just hard to use, and kde3 annoys me now that i been using kd4 for a while.I never tried the real debian and ill try but i am really startin to get sick of reformatting my hard driver when i always seem to go back to mandriva no matter what cuz its the only os that i feel is reliable to me.Can't seem to get out of the Mandriva/Vista box

You could try out other distro's via VirtualBox, just set that up on your MDV installation, and away you go, easy as, no mess, give it a try. It's in the repos, or you can get it from the VirtualBox site, where you can get either the open or closed source version/edition. http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox

Yes, Debian(Stable) is a bit old package wise etc, but it is the trade off for it's stability. You could try the testing branch 'squeeze' or the unstable branch 'sid' for a more cutting edge experience, despite the 'testing' and 'instable' tags, they are surprisingly well, stable, in my experience anyway.