New Linux user. Firefox 3 displays awful fonts

osom

Hi, I am new at Linux, using Mandriva 2009 with Gnome, KDE and Xfce installed together.

Firefox displays horrible fonts in the 3 systems. I have Firefox with the default fonts. I have tried to change them manually and didn't get better. I have FreeType installed plus adjusted my Mandriva for the best font quality display in the Font Manager. I have all the Windows fonts too, a total of 100 fomnts installed.

Firefox looks absolutely horrible. The fonts not only look ugly but the sizes are absurd. Usually too small, unreadable many times, but the size of a same site changes every day...

Any idea to improve this?

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Fonts look good on my Mandriva 2009, I didn't do anything special, default fonts and default config, maybe all those extra fonts you installed caused this, or did you see it since before installing them?

Have you tried creating a new user and starting Firefox as that user, to make sure it's not something in your Firefox config?

It could also be a X windows dpi setting problem, do a:

grep -i dpi /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and post the output you get.

Maybe also post a screenshot of firefox with the horrible fonts, to show us what you mean.