Eee loss of file DCOPserver

Guest rkh986

The Eee has been a delight--the reliable 1 of 20 (all other MS WinXP) that I am responsible to administer.

A few weeks ago, the following Error message began to appear. I am stuck. :wall:

Error - DCOP communications error (removable device)

X There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system

Could not open network socket

Please check that the "dcopserver" is running!

Eee 701 running stock Linux with no mods

No connections in CAT5, USB or VGA ports--running WiFi with Linksys BEFSR41+WRT150NV1.1 (801.g)

SD card (Transcend 8GB HC class 6) with data files only (no programs running on SD)

Eee had performed beautifully for 1 year since purchase

Tried CTRL-ALT-BKSP several times, also removed battery and SD card for 5 hours, then retried.

Although I have found the DCOPSERVER folder (in Bin files) and tried each of the start* files, no success.

How does one properly get the DCOPSERVER running, once lost or corrupted, to resolve?

Thanks for any insights.

Kent

rkh986

[moved from Laptops, etc by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

I have no experience with subnotebooks, and next to none with KDE. However, it seems to me that DCOPserver isn't a process started at boot, but rather a X session process.

So I wonder: does this error still hapen if you create a new user, and login with that user instead? If not, then probably something has gone wrong with your user's home directory.

Yves.