Walmart expands Linux offerings

spiedra

hm....doesn't sound very impressive. Netxt month they take windows again??

Well, good, that SOMEONE does something in the desktop-branch concerning linux. I think the future of linux will be the second and third world, therefor they haven't got the licencing money for "better" windows...

And the biggest amount of people is china. Can't believe them paying M$ :mrgreen:

"I think the future of linux will be the second and third world, therefor they haven't got the licencing money for "better" windows..."

With all the piracy around here, I think it makes it harder for Linux to get a foothold. The University of the Philippines College of Law, where i work is going uses Linux for servers, and may start using Linux for desktops this semester.

"Does anyone here have any real world experience with Via C3s?"

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Have not used a CIII but have used a Cyrix PC (which was the precourser of the C3) 2-3 years back. Well it works, but at less than rated speed. Back than we had a Cyrix 400 (M- something) and a K6-2 350. The K6-2 350 was substantially faster. The Cyrix was stable though.

I read a review of the C3 processor 1GHz at Tom's Hardware. It usually ran slower than a Celeron 667MHz in most benchmarks. Here is the link:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020605/

Running at only 12Watts, it should run really cool and should make for a pretty good core for a server/router PC.

Yeah, I used to have a Cyrix MII - 266. It did ok. I've read that review too. Read another one here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dTyp...dId=287&dPage=1

It's a review of the 1GHz C3 Ezra-T Core. Still seems slow in comparison to Celeron or Duron. Since VIA runs it now, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that they could eventually make a worthy competitor to Intel & AMD.