Viruses in Linux

Guest McGregor

Guest McGregor

I'm an unexperienced user and new to Linux. But I know it as reliable and secure OS. Sometimes I can find some viruses on my computer - namely in wine and it's no wonder. But the other day I felt a bit confused - for training reasons I was scanning my computer with Clamav and to my astonishment it found 33 infected files. And where?! In /usr!!! I traced the whole path - /usr/share/doc/clamav/test. There were 33 infected Windows files there:

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------

Known viruses: 428525

Engine version: 0.94

Scanned directories: 2

Scanned files: 103

Infected files: 33

Data scanned: 1.30 MB

Time: 3.655 sec (0 m 3 s)

[randolph@localhost ~]$

I don't think there's any danger to my Mandriva. Most probably these viruses are to be there for some reason, but which one I have no idea. I wish someone would shed light on the issue.

...for training reasons I was scanning my computer with Clamav and to my astonishment it found 33 infected files. And where?! In /usr!!! I traced the whole path - /usr/share/doc/clamav/test. There were 33 infected Windows files there:

After reading your post I decided to finally do a full system scan, and these same 33 viruses were on my system at the same location: /usr/share/doc/clamav/test/.

If you mouse over the file entry in KlamAV, the following message is displayed: ClamAV-Test-File: clam.xxx contains the ClamAV test signature. It's not a virus.

I am fairly confident this is normal and no cause for alarm.

• 2 weeks later...