No system sounds in 2008.1

mittfh

2008.1 / Gnome / ALSA, fully updated.

System sounds are definitely enabled, I've selected various audio files for system events (e.g. login / logout) from the defaults, but ( a ) they won't play when previewed and ( b ) they don't play during the relevant events.

All other audio works fine (e.g. Nautilus mouseover previews, mplayer handles whatever I throw at it, and a well-known video sharing website), so I'm puzzled why it's so reluctant to play system sounds.

Edited by mittfh

Welcome on board :)

Is it a fresh install, or an upgrade from an earlier release of Mandriva? As far as I can tell, Gnome system sounds were played through esd with previous releases, and are now played through a new sound server.

Yves.

Fresh install, occupying 1/2 a 250GB SATA HDD. I've installed quite a lot of random stuff from the repositories, so if there's anything out there that might possibly conflict, let me know and I'll tell you if it's installed when I get home this evening :)

(Quiet day at work...half the dept are training, so engaging in active work avoidance!)

So it is a fresh install… Strange. I did two fresh installs this week, and both times I had login and logout sounds; that was using Mandriva 2008.1 One Gnome version (obviously with a Gnome desktop).

Of course, you could try and disable PulseAudio (the new sound server), which is done somewhere in Mandriva Control Center. It is said to be a good cure to sound problems, at the expense of a little loss in advanced features. But I find this solution quite unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, I have nothing else to suggest.

Yves.

Although it was a fresh install, it was using the same partitions as my previous 2008.0 install.

This was installed before I acquired a network connection, so I had unwisely decided to attempt a gnome 2.20 --> gnome 2.22 upgrade via the "download the sources at work during lunch, then compile at home" route - very long-winded and after getting into a mess with trying the docbook stuff, I decided to obliterate it and (having acquired a net connection in the meantime) do a fresh .1 install, based on downloading the free DVD iso on my Vista laptop and burning it to DVD.

Anyway, last night I decided that since I hadn't got anything on .1 that couldn't easily be replaced, reinstall .1, this time from scratch. Unfortunately my DVD-R had picked up a few errors in the meantime - it's not a good sign if glibc refuses to install, followed by about a dozen other packages!

No problem I thought, so I decided to be adventurous and download the 2009.0 iso and burn that. Except verification failed and upon installation, it discovered errors on the copy to HDD routine.

So tonight I'm planning to clean both the laptop (Vista) and PC (install target) DVD-RW drives and try again - although I'm concsious of my rapidly dwindling supply of DVD-Rs (Phillips branded & individually shrink wrapped, so you'd think they'd be more reliable than bargain basement generic spindles).

Just out of curiosity, would it install if I copied the iso contents onto a couple of USB flash drives (a 1GB for contrib, a 4GB for everything else) and booted from them?

Oh and before you ask, I do enjoy the challenge of doing things the hard way - needless to say, I work in IT, so wrecking computers is 'normal' :D