k3b help

chris z

i've been trying to use k3b to burn an .iso image (the Mandrake updates .iso from the downloads section here) to no avail. i've looked for k3b help, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere. when you click on help in k3b, it just brings up the KDE user manual, but there's no section for k3b. my problems are thus..........i ran the k3b set up, that's supposed to be super easy. well, it did seem super easy. detected my cd-rom (Atapi) & my cd burner (TDK). went through all the screens, clicked finish. that's when i get 2 red error marks on the finish screen, telling me that my cd devices weren't found. (even though it clearly showed each of them during the set up process) when i closed the set up dialog, i had a new icon on my desktop called "hard disc (cd) (not mounted)". i don't know what that's for. when i open up k3b, it didn't show any cd rom device. so, i ran the set up again. this time i played with the mount points, thinking maybe it wasn't detecting where they are mounted. after i finished set up, there were no errors this time, but when the window closed all of my desktop storage device icons (cdrom, cdrom2, floppy, & the new hard disc one that k3b put there) were gone! i know nothing about manually mounting & unmounting cd roms. when i installed MDK, it was all done during the install. (i guess i have what is called "supermount"?) anywho, confused & somewhat panicked, i rebooted (yeah, i know.......loser!). when i rebooted, all of my storage device icons were back. both cd rom drives work (i tested each with data & music cd's). so i had another go at setting up k3b with the same results (cd drives not being detected, then all the desktop icons gone) cd burning would be a big plus for me in MDK. i know it can be done & i've used CDRoast succesfully for music burning, but that apparently doesn't support data/iso images (from what i can tell). soooo.......can anybody offer up a tutorial on properly setting up k3b, using it, &/or mounting/unmounting cd rom devices, or, point me in the direction of a good tutorial. i use Nero in Window$ without any problems & i know i could just go there to burn the .iso, but i'm trying to wean myself from everything M$ related. i not nearly ready for that yet, but i'm trying. as always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Chris

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried disabling supermount for those two drives?

In /etc/fstab, change this:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

to

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0

Of course there will be one entry for /dev/scd0 and one for /dev/scd1 (or /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd, but I think you need scsi emulation for both drives in order to see them both in k3b).

First, in order to properly use both my cd devices, I had to use scsi emulation. In lilo I added to the "append" section the following:

hdb=ide-scsi, hdc=ide-scsi

The ide primary is hda, the slave is hdb, the ide secondary is hdc, and the slave is hdd. The code, then is "hdx=ide-scsi".

After doing this, k3b should setup with out problems. (Although I edited my /etc/fstab manually, so I'm just guessing!)

You can also check my specs (see sig) to see what my config files look like.

Normally setting up k3b should not be a problem, but I've had problems with it too at some point; similar to yours, I could not see my cdrom devices anymore in k3b; had to go through the thing a couple of times to get things right.

BTW before k3b I used gcombust,

urpmi gcombust

to install it; definitely for iso's it's not hard to use; for all other purposes the interface is quite confusing with all its options. You have to go to the 'burn' tab and then just select the iso and 'burn iso' option...

And do the device setup, at the beginning. Since it tries to do less than k3b, chances are it works right...

I have a similar problem with k3b, only had one red cross. I changed the supermount option, and also made sure the drive was not mounted and ran the setup again. This time it worked and burns fine, but I can't copy from one drive to the other. I will try the emulation option to see if this works.

thanks for the tips. i already have gcombust installed, but i haven't tried using it yet. i'll check in to what that's about later tonight or tomorrow when i have time. as i said in my original post, i've never played around with mounting or unmounting drives, since everything mounts automatically on boot up. (i know......i gotta learn some time, but i'm trying to keep things down to 1 problem at a time) is there any "all in one" cd burning software for Linux (Mandrake) that's simple to set up & use without having to go through mounting, unmounting, etc? something along the lines of a Nero, that would work in a Linux system? i think that would be nice, instead of having to use different burning programs for specific burning functions. anywho, i'm at work, so i'll play with things later & post back with results or more problems.

Chris

k3b, once set up right, is easy to use, it's my app of choice. But then I am a windows bread GUI lover. Some people use a command line based program which will be a lot more stable but is not easy for a beginner. I did try another, cant't remember which one but I think is was the KDE based burner. This also worked well but k3b just had a more polished look about it.

I use k3b for everything. Once you set it up, it will mopunt the drives for you. It is really automatic. Just set it up correctly and you will be in "neroville"! :wink:

Automount is a problem, not a help. If you don't like issuimg mount commands (GUI users don't like that!) then make some icons on your desktop to mount your drives with a mouse click. We can walk you through that after k3b is going. Summary, you need to turn off supermount.

can you explain mounting & unmounting & auto/supermounting in brief, please? i mean, i understand the theory, but i'm at work & have no man pages or help to read. when you unmount a drive, does that mean that everytime you want to use a CD (or floppy) in one of your drives that you have to re-mount it? what are the benefits vs. the negatives of having to do that? wouldn't it be easier just to have your drives mounted & ready to go at all times? (excuse the dumb sounding questions........just tryin' to learn) and, yes, once i get a chance to sit down & work with the k3b, i would like to be able to have icons available to mount/unmount my drives, so if you could supply instructions on how to do that, i'd really appreciate it. gotta get back to work.

Chris

In the computer world, one mounts a file system, rather than a device. The command is done in a terminal, and the syntax is mount some file system using some device at some point in the file structure. So, a typical command might be:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

which means "mount, normally, file system iso9660, using device cdrom, at /mnt/cdrom in the file tree."

When you are done, you can type "umount cdrom" or even "eject cdrom" and the drive will spit your disk out! You will find that only root can do this command, so you need to su to root in a terminal and do all this.

I'll tell you the icon thing when I am at my linux computer. I'm on a virus magnet right now! :lol:

I tried to burn a few mp3's to a audio cd last night and I just went randomlly through the burn dialog but it claimed I did not have a driver for my writer drive. I have already created data cd's from this machine. So I tried again but this time selected a different program to burn with. What are the difference between cdrao, cdrecord and all the others that dont seem to be on my machine, should I have them?

about mounting & unmounting devices via desktop icons........since my drives are automatically mounted during boot up at the moment, i already have icons on my desktop for them. if i right click on any drive, there's an option to unmount them. this being the case, would k3b set up properly if i would first right click my cd rom drive icons, select unmount, & then run k3b setup? again, it's early, going to work soon, but i'll have time to play with things tonight. just wondrin', though.......

Chris

cdrecord, cdrao, and mkisofs are all needed by k3b in order to work properly. Think of it like this: all this software is actually doing the work in the background, but what you look at is the fine attractive gui! So, if you don't have the bachground software, the gui won't work.

I hate to repeat myself, but supermount causes odd problems, different symptoms at different times. Supermount is the real culprit. Just turn it off.

sorry, but i'm f***ing frustrated, so ignore my anger & ignorance, please. i've been playing with k3b for the past 2 hours, to no avail. i tried Anna's method from a previous post. no go.......... tried unmounting..........can't figure out how to do it. tried k3b setup a dozen different ways...all i get is an extra icon on my desktop that i don't know what to do with, or i lose all of my cdrom icons & i have to reboot. remember, i've only been using MDK for less than a month. the command line stuff throws me, big time. i'm still heavily dependant on GUI, but i'm still willing to try commands. thing is, i could have had this stinking .iso image burned using Window$ & Nero 20 times in the time it's taken me to go nowhere with k3b/Linux. could somebody PLEASE look at my etc/fstab file & instruct me, exactly, what to edit, proper syntax & all, to make this work? PLEEEEZE!!! and, before i start editing a file that makes my cdrom's usable, could you explain how i go about mounting them when i need to use them, since i can't seem to figure that out for the life of me either. it's 5:32pm, EST. i'm going to my deck to cool off, drink a gin & tonic or 3, & try to fight the urge to fire up Nero. i'll check back here a bit later, hopefully a bit more calm & in a better state of mind.

thanks, sincerely,

Chris

/dev/hdc7 / ext2 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdc10 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc9 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc8 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd	/mnt/cdrom2/	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd	/mnt/cdrom/	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

btw: my burner is cdrom.....my cdrom is cdrom2