k3b help

chris z

...........and another set of instructions begats another set of questions..........

Xthusdan, i'll try your instructions to edit my lilo.conf. don't know if i'll have time tonight, (all breathe a sigh of relief), but tomorrow, for sure. but, before i do that, my new questions are thus:

i know by screwing around with the lilo configuration, with one mistake you can render MDK unbootable. i have no clue how to restore it to it's current state if it won't boot. so, by editing this one line (& making a backup file) is there a (worst case) chance of me not being able to boot to MDK, or only that my cd burner drive just won't function?

when you say:

After you save and exit, open a terminal program, su to root, and type "lilo".

Then reboot.

do you mean reboot from terminal or reboot using KDE? if it's from terminal, i've never done that, so is the command "reboot"?

i'll await further instructions & leave you all alone until tomorrow (i think)!

Chris

(note: as i've said before, i am a newbie, but i want to learn, so i hope i'm not being too much of a pain in the a**. i've used MS products since the days of true DOS & Win3.1. i am quite proficient & comfortable using DOS & while i find a lot of similarities in various Linux commands, there's a ton of stuff that's totally alien to me. using a GUI almost exclusively for the past several years has made me complacent, i guess. until yesterday, i had no idea what "fstab" was, did, or that it even existed. i've got a long way to go, but try to bear with me. again, thanks to all of you for you patience & help.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chris z: first off, no one is a pain here ;-) well, ok, there are a few, but not you!

changing the append file should not cause mdk to be unbootable. you man run into a variety of freaky errors if something is wrong, but you should still get to a terminal login....as long as you don't change the other lines in lilo.conf

and you can either reboot with KDE or type "reboot" in the terminal. either one would work, i suggest using KDE just because it will make sure the X server gets shut down safely.

Bah!

I always reboot or shut down from a terminal and never have problems with x. :wink:

You're right, chris, learning the shell commands brings you to the useful days of DOS. I like lots of gui. But I can do more and more accurately from the shell, so that the gui's behave, something you really can no longer do in windex.

The Mandrake install cd can get you back into an inbootable system. Don't worry.

Bah!

I always reboot or shut down from a terminal and never have problems with x. :wink:

sssshh...don't tell him that ;-) j/k.

i usually log out of my x session then reboot, but I don't use a graphical login either :) so it makes sense to just logout of x and type in "reboot" or "halt"

it's me again.......(MUUUAHAHAHAHA!) i still haven't had time to edit/append the lilo file for scsi emulation. gonna try that tonight. but, i've been thinking (that usually means trouble) & something is confusing me (again). if scsi emulation is the culprit, why does k3b read my burner when i run it as root, even though i don't have scsi emulation activated? i mean, it's still ide as root, right? or, when you run things as root, does that somehow change the way the drives are set up? just wondrin'. (oh....i see i've made post of the week! :headbang:

Chris

Your system is set-up to use ide-scsi emulation, there's something else missing/wrongly set up which is why you can't burn as a normal user but you can as root...

Do a

cat /etc/lilo.conf

(as root probably, don't think ordinary users have the right to read that file) and post the output here.

You only need to fiddle with that (normally) if you want to make direct disc to disc copies. Crosscheck the files of my setup (see my specs in my sig).

On a side note, if you are worried about changing your bootloader (lilo) when using it in the standard setup, namely in the MBR (master boot record), here's what you can do:

Use the command lilo but indicate it to use a different lilo.configuration file, I think the command should be:

lilo -C alternative.lilo.configfile

(man lilo should tell you what the exact command should be)

Then if it doesn't work, you can always pop in the first Mdk cd, do a rescue and select: repair bootloader.

That one will use the standard /etc/lilo.conf

If you messed up but did change the original lilo.conf file, but know what to put to repair it, you could boot with a knoppix live cd and then edit (after mounting for read/write) the lilo.conf file; I couldn't manage to actually repair the MBR bootloader the last time I needed to, had some weird problem...

Have you got right permissions on: cdrecord, mkisofs and cdrdao? I just remember once after i had installed the xcdroast-application that K3B couldnt find my cdrom and burner. I checked the permissin on these files and it looked like xcdroast had changed it to some strange (strange to me) r w s - - - - - -.

I just changed the permisson back to 755 for everyone on these files and things went back to normal. ( what i really should have done was probably to add my user to some group created by xcdroast, but ...)

ok.......i won't do anything to my lilo.conf when i get home tonight. i'll post the contents of that file & somebody can check it out & tell me if anything is screwy or not. see, when i looked at that file, i could swear that it was already using scsi emulation. but, i could be wrong. since i don't have it in front of me, i'm not sure. something is telling me that the reason i can't burn as user "chris" is because of rights to cdwriter being screwed up somehow. in which case, i don't know how that could be 'cause (as you can read in an earlier post) i have all the rights set up correctly. what if i ran k3b setup (again!!! :banghead: ) & at the end, instead of adding chris as a user for cdwriter, leave that blank, then manually go to user drake & add me from there? could k3b not be adding burning rights to chris properly? (he wonders.....) ok, gotta get some work done. i'll be bugging you great people (again) tonight at some point.

Chris

Okay, it would be nice to see what your system answers to the following:

(possibly as root)

cat /etc/lilo.conf

cat /etc/fstab

ll /bin/cdrecord

ll /bin/cdrdao

ll /bin/mkisofs

and (I forgot which command) something that shows which groups your user chris is in (groups? man groups or so...)

I will have another look tonight (unless my girlfriend has something else planned) on my linux box, but my guess is that your user is not added to cdwriter group (man addgroup if there is such a command... ;) ) or your user has no rights to execute the necessary programs as indicated above.

And on ide-scsi, you definitely have it, or you couldn't write cd's as root.

We'll get there.

I DID IT!!!! I DID IT!!!! I DID IT!!!! :mystilol: :headbang::cheeky:

CAN I GET WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

ok, ok.......i'm gathering my composure now. after having this bug me all day long (i even left work early so i could work on this), the more i thought about it, the more i thought that the reason k3b was not being able to read my burner as "chris" had to have something to do with permissions & user rights. aRTee sorta confirmed that for me, because he was right. why could i burn as root, but not as chris? if it was an scsi/ide problem, then i wouldn't be able to burn, no matter who i was logged in as, correct? anywho, hea gave me a clue too.....

hea says

I just changed the permisson back to 755 for everyone on these files and things went back to normal.

since i'm the only user on this computer, i have chris set up for administrative rights. i know i have cdwriter rights in userdrake. we've been through that. BUT.......... i never checked KDE user manager. i was confused at first, 'cause that also said chris had cdwriter rights. BUT...... the administrator thing hit me in the head like a brick. i checked under "groups" for cdwriter rights, & sure as sh*t, administrator was unchecked. i put a check in there, saved the user profile, crossed my fingers, toes, & anything else i could cross, fired up k3b as chris, & lo & m*therf***king behold!!!!......i can burn! i can burn!!!!! sheesh......what a run around, huh? right now i'd like to thank the Academy, & everybody that offered their help, advice, & encouragement. if anybody is having similar problems with k3b, please try what i tried, if the situation applies. might i also note, that i'm still able to use k3b with supermount enabled. the key to that was setting up k3b with the drives unmounted, running it, then re-enabling supermount. (i think) man, i'm almost sad to see this thread end, but at least it's a happy ending. just a thought, but maybe this whole saga could be condensed into some kind of "how to" or "tips & tricks", so nobody else has to go through what i (what we all) just went through. thanks a million to all of you, again. now...........what else can i screw up......hmmmm.

Chris