Have any of you tried crossover office?

ral

I tried it and it works just fine. Reason for 'needing' it is that sometimes you need to send Word docs to people. You can save in the Word format in OpenOffice.org and StarOffice, but it's not 100% correct and people get strangely formatted Word docs...

If it is for the document format: I don't use .doc format, I use .rtf (rich text format), and I can exchange documents with MS Word without problems.

That only solves the word processing part of the equation. What about spreadsheets? It has been my experience that .XLS spreadsheet files created in SO/OOo tend to get muddled in Excel more than .DOC files created in So/OOo do in MS Word. Tab delimited or comma-separated are not always an option. I could see how Cross-Over Office could help deal with that.

Fortunately I don't have to share files with people that often and use the native SO/OOo file formats in both Windows and Mandrake.

I have crossover office. It works pretty well for me, the little I use it. You install the crossover program, and then it asks you to install MS Office, through its installation program. The programs work, but not the help part (perhaps fixed now). It is just weird to see excel, word, or i.e. on my xfce desktop. Crossover does seem like a very well written program, but I have no experience with WINE, so I can't compare.

I use Crossover office and it pretty much works fine. If the memory load becomes too high, then it can get a little unstable, but not a disaster. I find that MS compatablility in OpenOffice is not good enough and also, I simply find OpenOffice far too slow to start up and run. I would rathe not have to use any micrsoft products, but for the moment I will continue to use office as there is simply no better alternative