Howto: Installing Corel Photopaint 9

Guest daimoni

Guest daimoni

Corel Photopaint works nicely with Mandrake 9.0, and is a rocking graphics package.

1. mkdir corelinst

2. cd corelinst

4. Download:

wget ftp://ftp2.corel.com/pub/linux/PhotoPaint...T9LnxRPM.tar.gz

5. tar zxf CorelPHOTOPAINT9LnxRPM.tar.gz

6. Login as root by typing "su" + your root password

7. Type "./install"

This will launch Corel Photopaint installer.

(NOTE: On some machines, installer might occasionally whine about "segmention fault" etc and won't launch - this happened for me too, but somehow, creating a new user, copying .tar.gz file to new users home dir, and installing from there worked. strange? :shock: )

8. After installer finishes, you'll see a new entry in your KDE menu - apps - and behind if Corel Photopaint. It won't work, yet. Next you need to install Fontastic server, which is needed to launch Photopaint. Here's how to do it:

Go back to your console, now, go back to your corelinst directory (or wherever your extracted .tar.gz file) and browse up to dists/redhat/i386. (type "cd dists/redhat/i386/")

To install Fontastic, type:

1. mv /etc/init.d /etc/init.d.old

2. rpm -i -force fonttastic*

3. mv /etc/init.d.old /etc/init.d

Now, try launching Photopaint - everything should work :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest daimoni

it works fine, for fresh install. i don't have experience with modified init.d. modify it after installing it? ;) removing photopaint, just remove /usr/lib/corel or wherever you installed it.

• 1 year later...
Hi!

Has anyone saved the Install package ? I need it and its not anywhere in the internet......thx for help !

there is a FANTASTIC image iditing program on the mandrake CD's allready called the gimp and it works at least as well as if not better than corel. Personaly, I would put it right on par with photoshop.

And, if you wantmyou ca uninstall it and installl the newer version that is available at their website or on the contrib mirrors.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
I saved the apckage, but the only link avaible is here: http://ftp.urc.ac.ru/pub/OS/Linux/print/Co...T9LnxRPM.tar.gz

tchao

That link is stil working! :) - I hesitate though... does that install include an old wine?

I have got my wife-to-be :) over to Linux :) Mandriva and everything is perfectly OK, she is also learning GIMP.

But she have some work made in an old Photopaint on her old computer.

GIMP can open *some* files. We wil try...

Having this free Photopaint version running woulld just be extra nice - not essential.

It is even newer than her old version...

If nothing else I will install a current wine and her original windows verison if we can find a 11 year old diskette package or what it is... where it is now after the move...

Edited by Morgano