Masking I.P. address under Mandriva - Firefox

JOE_X!!!

Yes I downloaded TOR but cannot start it - there are no instructions, hence nothing changes.

Could you advise me how to start the program.

Why hide I.P.?

And Why not?

I guard my self against bad unhealthy interests besides It is absolutely normal to hide IP address like concealing any other personal information from the third parties.

* You close your door so that nobody can come into your residence.

* You hide your mobile phone number if you want so. Millions of people do it. So why not?

It's not really. An IP address isn't anything personal or special. Most people will have dynamic IP addresses, changing, so it's certainly not like a mobile phone number. You'll have a dynamic IP too.

Why not? Cause you can't! TOR doesn't really hide your IP address. You've still got one, and need one to connect to the internet. You get it from your ISP. So if the government for example ever want's to know your IP address, all they need to do is ask your ISP (depending on countries laws). Easy!

TOR is also often blocked. Many sites wont permit TOR connections, and many email servers will flat out reject TOR as TOR is often abused to send spam. So you may find that you won't be able to send your email over tor... starting to defeat the point of setting it up, isnt it.

So you can feel fuzzy wuzzy if you want. But it doesn't make a difference.

James

You and "tyme" seem to be very concerned about that issue. No , I donnot want to engage in any anti-governmental activity, However in my country there are other people who maybe interested in my I.P. and have no legitimate right to do so.!

That's why I prefer to hide it.

Also I don't think IP's are so dynamic as you say. Mine changes only once a year or even less.

First of all JOE_X!!! don't concern yourself with the opinions of others, you don't need to justify or explain why you want to surf anonymously. Be patient a while longer, when I get home I will see how I can simplify my instructions.

There is no problem using tor to: Surf, Send Email or doing anything else www related.

iphitus is right in the sense that tor doesn't change your physical ip, what it does is anonimize your net activities by routing your requests through a series of proxies or nodes. To cut a long story short, when you request to see a page from a website when using tor, it is not your ip that is logged on that site as requesting the page, it is the ip of the exit node that is logged.

Privoxy is used to filter out any extra bits of info about your machine that in normal everyday use of the net gets sent out via your browser.

I find it strange how it's accepted that all and sundry is allowed to track your net movements/activities, but if you take exception to it and take steps to prevent it, you are somehow wanting to engage in something illegal. If the latter is true then governments are also doing something illegal because they also use tor.

iphitus is right in the sense that tor doesn't change your physical ip, what it does is anonimize your net activities by routing your requests through a series of proxies or nodes. To cut a long story short, when you request to see a page from a website when using tor, it is not your ip that is logged on that site as requesting the page, it is the ip of the exit node that is logged.

But my main point was that you can't use TOR for everything. There are times when you'll need to work without it.

I find it strange how it's accepted that all and sundry is allowed to track your net movements/activities, but if you take exception to it and take steps to prevent it, you are somehow wanting to engage in something illegal. If the latter is true then governments are also doing something illegal because they also use tor.

hehe. I never said that he wanted to engage in anything illegal, or even implied it. I just see this as paranoia.

But my main point was that you can't use TOR for everything. There are times when you'll need to work without it.
True, it is ineffective with FTP for example. But for surfing, email, chat, irc it works fine. In the event I do come across a stubborn page/site, I simply change exit nodes.

hehe. I never said that he wanted to engage in anything illegal, or even implied it. I just see this as paranoia.
lol. I know you didn't, but that is the usual assumption (in my experience) when the name tor is mentioned! One mans paranoia, is another mans right to privacy.