Mandrake Login Screen.. drivin' me nuts.

Guest supated

Guest supated

Hey all,

Another Linux newbie here, installed it just today infact. Anyways, one thing that's annoying the heck out of me is the fact that I cant seem to login as root. It gets a bit frustrating having to use the su command all the time when I'm trying to configure files, etc.

What I'd like to know, is if there is any way to make that default Mandrake login screen (on Mandrake 9.1) display the "root" account aswell, instead of only my user account. And if it cant be configured to do this, how can I login as root and run Xwindows aswell (i tried switching to another screen, logging in as root and typing "startx" but to no avail).

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Will

You must NEVER EVER log in as root! And if you are going to log in as root for whatever reason, you must NEVER EVER EVER run X as root.

The su method is how it is supposed to be. There are many good reasons why you should never log in as root, I am not going to list them here.

Just take my word for it and you'll see that everyone on this forum who knows what they are talking about will say the same thing. You'll get used to suing, it's not so bad, and you only need to do it when you make important changes.

While agree with the others (don't login as root), its still your decision. I think you can set which users appear in KDE Control Centre. You'll have to start it using the kdesu command.

Its far better in my opinion run individual commands as root, using somehting like kdesu.

I third that from Paul.

:)

Please, invest some time to unlearn some bad habits from others systems and learn the ways of your new system.

If you wanted Windows you could have stayed with windows. You didn't, indicating you are open to new things.

Please be open to the way things are done in linux. They are done like that for a good reason in many cases. Especially in the use of the system.

Linux as a system is mature. Some of the software definitely isn't.

This 'issue' is a system issue. Take your time to get used to it, post back if you have problems, check out the tips faqs etc sections here and elsewhere.

And don't log on graphically as root.

Welcome to the wonderful world of linux and OSS.

:P

Has anyone convinced you to not log in to x as root? There is either an echo in here, or a solid point to be made!! Don't log in as root. :mystismiles:

All processes in linux run with a certain set of permissions. The philosophy of linux is to have a process run with the lowest level of permissions/privilege necessary to function properly. This is a large part of what gives linux it's stability and security. When you log in as root, everything you run is running with root privilege which can seriously undermine the security /stability of the system. In short, linux simply isn't designed to be run that way.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with using graphical X programs to configure your system, but what do you really need to do the job? I think basically it boils down to a text editor like kedit, a file manager like konqueror and console. Konqeror can be launched in super user mode in from the start menu at Applications>File tools>File Manager-Super User Mode. To launch kedit as root, do Alt-F2, type kedit in the field, tick the options button, tick the Run as different user button, enter your root pasword and tick the Run button. Kedit will fire up with root priveleges and any file you open can be edited as root. Obviously, you know how to open a console and su to root. That's all you really need.

in French:

Centre de Contrle Mandrake -> Matériel -> Choisir le gestionnaire de connexion

in English i guess something like:

Mandrake Controle Center -> Hardware -> Choose the Connection Manager

I agree with you, i go back to standard KDM.

For maitntenance Session i use to connect on root with KDE too.

If your pc is driving a nuclear plant, you should NOT. :screwy:

roland

To actualy answer your question :roll: ...yes, I just tried it. It's mdkkdm and is configured where kdm is....in the KDE Control Center>System>Login Manager>Users tab. I had an entry for root that was ticked....unticked it, and clicked apply.

It cracks me up that everytime someone mentions logging in as root that everyone jumps the user and no one answers the question. All or most who have responded here, most likey know the answer, but feel they have the right to decide whether supated can destroy his/her OS and even his hardware. A simple warning, a few reasons, and an answer was all that was required, asked for, and anticpated.

supated, It really isn't a good idea and I'll tell you why but first let me say, like roland, I do it. BUT only right after a new install, or when I'm going to be doing A LOT of configuring. The reason it's not something you want to do all the time is because you'll become complacent, or comfortable, and....ooops...do something you'll really wish you hadn't. You can think it won't hapen but eventually..... :shock:

Now, 9 post and 3.5 hours later than necessary, you have your answer :wink:

I'm not flaming guys :wink:

Guest supated

Lol, thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to take it on board and not run in root *often*. But hell, if i ****up my system at this stage, it doesnt bother me, i have nothing to loose (lost it all the other night.. thanks powerquest.. thanks windows.. pfft). Oh and thanks bvc for actually answering my question :)

Cheers.