URGENT PRINTER PROBLEM

phunni

Please help!

I was printing a document earlier with my hp deskjet 5550 and the printer ran out of ink - mid job. So I changed the cartridge and now the printer does not want any more jobs. Any attempt to print simply fail without error message. My printer is running on a linux server (ML 9.1) and is being shared out to a network through samba. I am trying to print from my linux desktop (ML 9.1) and nothing is getting through. I have tried printing a test page from the server and still nothing. No new jobs are registered.

I'm pretty sure that this is not a hardware problem - the printer is almost brand new; this is the first time I've changed the ink cartridge.

This is very urgemt - I'm supposed to be printing something out to read this afternoon and if I fail I'm worried that my boss might insist I only use windows for work - so far he has been gracious enough to let me do much of my work on Linux. If, however, he thinks that Linux is getting in the way of productivity, I don't think he'll let me keep on using it

I have tried restartign CUPS on both machines and samba on the server with no effect

First of all I have to say that I ran into problems like yours from time to time and I solved all w/o knowing what the hell I did :?

Now to job:

Some diagnostics:

check the printer queue: lpq -a)

check the printer status: lpstat -t; Are right?

Now a basic test:

echo "dumb text" > /dev/lp0 (ofcourse using the right device name)

I asume that the modules are loaded, so you can try to unplug and plug again your printer. Also you can try to remove and put again the cartidge (restart and test cups after each test)

Guest anon

Have you tried the obvious like, remove the printer from linux, unplug the printer and re-install ? only takes a few minutes to do.

You sure its not hardware problem? no error messages, no test pages.

Try printing from the command line, see if there are any errors there.

Have tried removing from Linux and re-installing. I have not tried physically unplugging the printer, but I will add that to my list... :wink:

after cancelling all jobs and running echo "dumb text" > /dev/lp0 I am told that device lp0 (which is correct) is busy

I will try unplugging it. Is there anything else that might be causing this problem?

Have unistalled, unplugged the printer, restarted the server, plugged the printer in and reinstalled it. Now when I try to send "dumb text" to it - it worked.

As soon as I tried to print a test page, however, I was back to square one. The job is registered, but simply not happening

My HP932C using the hp driver wouldn't receive new jobs once and using cups I just deleted everything in /var/spool/cups/? and maybe a sub dir...can't recall. Could also the hp driver (if using it) that's holding the jobs in memory, so try selecting a diff driver and restarting cups (if using it) with service -f cupsd (or cups...can't recall) see service -s or service --help.

OK - progress. By deleting everything in /var/spool/cups (and everything in /var/spool/samba for good measure) I have installed the printer on the server. The server can print to it, as can the windows machines on the network.

BUT - my linux desktop cannot. It finds it and can install it (although it selects the wrong driver) but any jobs are only registered by CUPS locally - never sent to the server

I feel like I'm getting close, but I'm not there yet

Any more thoughts would be really appreciated - thanks for everyone's help so far

About not allowing remote printings, check the cups.conf file to see if it allows LAN jobs.

after cancelling all jobs and running echo "dumb text" > /dev/lp0 I am told that device lp0 (which is correct) is busy

About that, if you haven't already rebooted your machine (*I hope not*), remove all the lp modules and install them again (that should be done by restarting cups, but you don't loose anything by trying by hand) to see if that allows you to print again (at least directly to /dev/lp0);

For example, my printer modules are (your's can be different, check them): lp, parport_pc and parport; so to remove them I'd do:

~# lsmod | awk '/lp|parport/ {print $1}' | xargs rmmod

Now you can either reinsall them by hand or better run "service cups restart" or "service cups start" if you've already stopped it, and try again the 'echo "dumb text" > /dev/lp0'

if you try by hand check the order:

modprobe parport

modprobe parport_pc

modprobe lp

HTH

The printer is now working on the server and on windows machines from the network - but not locally. I have looked at /etc/cups/cupsd.conf but I couldn't fnd any option that had anything to do with remote printers - to be honest most things seemed to be commented out!