Gnome startup problem

dude67

I've been having this problem for quite some time and I have been unable to resolve this. So I'm again turning to you for help.

When starting Gnome it takes ages (i.e. a few minutes) to get Gnome up & running. It used to fire up in no time. Another sidenote is that I'm getting a terminal session opened (as a reg. user) every time Gnome starts up.

It all started when I looked for a way to start Firestarter from boot. I did it according to this: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=35278

But even when disabling it (commenting out the line in the sudoers file and removing Firestarter from the Sessions), it still takes forever to start up Gnome and it still brings up the terminal window.

Here's syslog from one Gnome startup. I cannot find any one item that would consume a great deal of time.

Dec 29 13:02:25 localhost gconfd (dude67-20620): starting (version 2.20.0), pid 20620 user 'dude67' 
   Dec 29 13:02:25 localhost gconfd (dude67-20620): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0 
   Dec 29 13:02:25 localhost gconfd (dude67-20620): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.local-mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 1 
   Dec 29 13:02:25 localhost gconfd (dude67-20620): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/dude67/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 2 
   Dec 29 13:02:25 localhost gconfd (dude67-20620): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.local-defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 3 
   Dec 29 13:02:25 localhost gconfd (dude67-20620): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 4 
   Dec 29 13:02:26 localhost gconfd (dude67-20620): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/dude67/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0 
   Dec 29 13:03:52 localhost drakconf.real[20689]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:03:55 localhost drakconf.real[20694]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:03:58 localhost kernel: floppy0: no floppy controllers found 
   Dec 29 13:03:58 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko.gz): No such device 
   Dec 29 13:04:01 localhost kernel: floppy0: no floppy controllers found 
   Dec 29 13:04:01 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko.gz): No such device 
   Dec 29 13:04:08 localhost logdrake[20719]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:04:25 localhost mdkapplet[20731]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost sudo:	  dude67 : TTY=unknown; PWD=/home/dude67; USER=root; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/firestarter --start-hidden 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost gconfd (root-20759): starting (version 2.20.0), pid 20759 user 'root' 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost gconfd (root-20759): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost gconfd (root-20759): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.local-mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 1 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost gconfd (root-20759): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 2 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost gconfd (root-20759): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.local-defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 3 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost gconfd (root-20759): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 4 
   Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost net_applet[20743]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:04:27 localhost mdkapplet[20731]: ### Program is exiting ### 
   Dec 29 13:04:56 localhost logdrake[20953]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:04:59 localhost logdrake[20953]: ### Program is exiting ### 
   Dec 29 13:05:10 localhost logdrake[20957]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:05:10 localhost logdrake[20958]: ### Program is starting ### 
   Dec 29 13:05:12 localhost logdrake[20958]: ### Program is exiting ###

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hi, I'm no expert with linux but i had a similar experience today, took minutes to load xwindows (i actually hung my washing up one time lol), I worked out it was due to my 3d destop effects (i was playing around with them). I turned them off, and what do you know, my computer loads xwindows fine.

Just a thought

Dec 29 13:04:26 localhost sudo: dude67 : TTY=unknown; PWD=/home/dude67; USER=root; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/firestarter --start-hidden

seems it still tries to start firestarter

seems it still tries to start firestarter

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I turned it back on as it didn't make any difference...

I worked out it was due to my 3d destop effects (i was playing around with them). I turned them off, and what do you know, my computer loads xwindows fine.

Just a thought

Sounds like a plan. I'll try that. It just doesn't explain why it takes all this time to start Gnome all of a sudden.

OK, I was unable to turn 3D off (!), but I'm still doubtful that the 3D (compiz-fusion) is the source... Hmm...

I restarted the system several times and this 'gconfd' line sometimes seems to take some two minutes; any ideas could that be the problem?

Dec 29 13:38:33 localhost gconfd (dude67-21290): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/dude67/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0
			   Dec 29 13:40:33 localhost mdkapplet[21366]: ### Program is starting ###

and on another occasion:

Dec 29 17:41:30 localhost gconfd (dude67-6322): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/dude67/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0 
			   Dec 29 17:43:28 localhost mdkapplet[6518]: ### Program is starting ###

This always happens when X has started and Gnome is beeing deployed. I can see the Gnome flash (or whatever) logo in the middle of the screen, but I'm still able to use the system. I can e.g. start MCC and Firefox. So: I'm able to use Mandriva, but the system takes some two minutes still to be fully up (before e.g. the firestarter GUI is loaded in the panel along with a few other icons) and the (a bit annoying) terminal window will appear.

maybe the fire wall somehow blocks 127.0.0.1, I had such a problem some time ago after messing around with kmyfirewall, gnome was dog-slow until I shut down iptables completely, have you tried this, what is the effect ?

maybe the fire wall somehow blocks 127.0.0.1, I had such a problem some time ago after messing around with kmyfirewall, gnome was dog-slow until I shut down iptables completely, have you tried this, what is the effect ?

Well, I'm not experiencing any problems with gnome once it's all up. The only thing is that it takes several minutes to start (with the small gnome flash thingy in the center screen) and that wasn't always so.

One more note: I can start apps while the thing is loading. So far the only thing I've noticed that I'm unable to do is log out or shut down before everything is fully loaded. And the other weird thing is the Terminal that starts as regular user once all is up.

If there are any more suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

I mean adding a second line. Of course thou should replace "Main_PC" with the actual hostname.

You can also add there hostnames and addresses of your LAN computers, as well as addys+IP's of external sites which you have trouble accessing otherwise.

Disabling ipv6 (to avoid numerous unnecessary queries) should also help. I guess you are familiar with that one- or not?

Edited by scarecrow