Double boot options?

Guest El barto

Guest El barto

hi, i have a remastered livecd with some apps i want to use on a laptop that isn't mine.

I have made a live USB as well, but the laptop won't let me boot from usb, so i boot with the cd and then choose the option "boot from usb". This is ok, it's very fast, BUT i need to write to the hard drive that has only a NTFS partition. In the boot options there is a "NTFS read/write" option, but then it won't use the USB and so everything is loaded from cd which is quite slow... is there a way to have both ? (boot from usb and ntfs write support ? )

Grub has an option to allow booting from USB drives, even if the BIOS does not allow it. However, it does work with some bios revisions, but not with all.

A regular Linux distro cannot be installed on FAT32 or NTFS partition. The reason is (mainly) that these filesystems do not support soft or hard linking natively. However, there are a few Linux distros that are made in such a way that can be installed on a FAT32, or NTFS filesystem (I can mention Puppy Linux, which is very popular, very lighweight, and very ugly... :P ).

Edited by scarecrow

Guest El barto
A regular Linux distro cannot be installed on FAT32 or NTFS partition. The reason is (mainly) that these filesystems do not support soft or hard linking natively. However, there are a few Linux distros that are made in such a way that can be installed on a FAT32, or NTFS filesystem (I can mention Puppy Linux, which is very popular, very lighweight, and very ugly... :P ).

i know, i use puppy on another pc, actually this machine i'm writing on is running on puppy 2.16.

I don't want to install MCN on the hard drive, i just want to save files on it. I have createda remastered live cd with kino and kdenlive for video editing and need to save the DV files i capture from Firewire to the NTFS hard drive, so i need write permissions on ntfs, but ALSO the ability to load MCN from USB .

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.