New smart GUI

linux_learner

It provides another option to the user. It'd help keep it lightweight. And no, no security issues. Not if it's done right.

It provides another option to the user. It'd help keep it lightweight. And no, no security issues. Not if it's done right.

Security isn't that simple, otherwise all the major projects would never be releasing patches and security updates.

As for "lightweight" -- a web browser (firefox anyone?), web server, processes for dynamic pages (php/python/ruby/perl/etc)... isnt lightweight. It's overkill. Feature Creep.

Nor can i think of any usage situation where this thing would actually be useful. It'd be slower, have a much weaker UI, and be far less capable. It'd be far more complex, heavier on the system, and putting something in a browser that doesnt need to be, gaining nothing extra by being there.

James

Well said, security isn't easy. Did you forget that I wrote the security overview? You have valid points, but at the same time, I am not sure you follow me. What I am suggesting is an alternative to the stand alone. Kind of like webmin. Webmin is light weight, written in php and perl. I read about an iptables tool that is web based using glade (I came across this while trying to find out if this could be done). So it can be done, and is being done.

Webmin is for making remote system administration easy. So a web interface for iptables makes sense. But for installing\deleting on a remote machine I can't imagine a better solution than the plain old CLI over SSH though I admit I'm far from being an expert.

Anyway if you're determined to do it, and it seems like you are, I don't wanna stop you.

One more thing about GUI design:

Usability

I was inspired by this article: Durability of Usability Guidelines. The best interface is the one you do not notice, it just does its job and enables you to get on. In other words, the user interface should not be attractive - it should not attract the user’s attention from his/her job.

Looking at applications and web-pages around me ... For who were they designed?

I found it here (post on 27th of july 2005).

Edited by dexter11

Good stuff dexter11. I shall do my best.