Audacity sound-device error [solved]

satelliteuser083

Suddenly I'm getting the message

"Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."

when I try to run previously serviceable .mp3 files with Audacity.

I checked via System -> Config -> KDE -> Sound -> Sound System, with the following results:

(under General) are selected: Enable Sound System, Run with highest priority (232mS) and Auto suspend if idle (after 60 secs);

(under Hardware) are selected: ALSA and Full Duplex.

These are what I seem to remember setting them to more than a year ago, with no problems since then.

I also stopped the sound system, rebooted (just in case) and restarted it, sadly to no avail. I'm using a Tosh Sat Pro 4600, running MV2006.

Can someone help me here (again)? Thanks.

The "sound system" in KDE is the ever famous (f)arts daemon- Audacity does not use it at all. Factly, the best you can do in most cases is disable it completely.

Audacity comes either compiled for alsa, or oss. Which version you're using?

I haven't got the slightest idea what I've done RIGHT - fact is, I did nothing at all, except reboot a day later - but the problem sees to have disappeared :wall: . Sorry to have wasted your time and many thanks for your help. :thumbs:

Edited by satelliteuser083

• 1 month later...

Hi ! I have the same problem with GNOME using ESD. The answer I find HERE. Disabling the system sounds every time, when using audacity is not the perfect way, but it work for now...

:thumbs:

Edited by delafer

• 4 months later...

Sadly, the audio problem with my mva2006 box has returned (or rather, I'm pretty sure that it was never really solved, I just had a series of lucky coincidences). It started when I played some music on YouTube; thereafter no other audio function operated correctly. It would appear that whichever function YouTube uses (no idea here) does not relinquish the audio-system when it's finished and all other potential users are locked out. For example, Audacicity reports:

There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.

You will not be able to play or record audio.

Wengo doesn't work either audio-wise, but also doesn't seem to know this because there's no error-message.

Rebooting fixes the prob, but that's a sledgehammer solution. Has anyone got any tips on how to reset the audio-system in a more, shall we say, sophisticated manner? ;) BTW, stopping and restarting the sound system does NOT work. Oh, and it's kde, using ALSA, in a Tosh Sat Pro 4600. Thanks.

Edited by satelliteuser083

I unchecked "sound system", as you suggested, then ran the cl as root, resulting in

Doing alsactl to store mixer settings... [ OK ]

Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 1.0.9b): no. (sound is being used by pid 6600 7119 7274 7119)) [FAILED]

ALSA driver (version 1.0.9b) is already running.

I imagine that it'll be necessary to kill the pid, but I've fogotten how to do that (seem to remember it was ctrl/alt Fx (but which x :mellow: ))

Have just repeated the above; this time the pid was 6735 7078 7642 7078. I then tried CTRL+ALT+F2 and "top", but couldn't see any of the mentioned pid number-groups in the resulting list. Could someone tell me what these number-groups in the pid mean, which one (if any) is relevant, and how they are related to the idents given in the "top" list (so that I can kill :angry: the offending process)? Thanks

I can vaguely recall that this particular alsa version (1.0.9b) was problematic (I thing b goes for beta- not sure anymore) and to have stuff like intel hda or ac97 laptop onboard chips working, we had to manually upgrade to alsa 1.10 RC2 or newer.

Are there any alsa upgrades for MDV 2006?

On the other question- if using KDE press alt+esc to open the KDE process manager (ksysguard). There you can easily kill any running process (...well, almost any USER process), or alt+ctl+esc which regularly calls xkill (if installed).