HowTo: Create a live cd - clean MDV 2007.1 install

chris:b

A regular questions that comes up is: how can I create a live cd from a normal Mandriva installed system without using the MCNLive remaster-on-the-fly method and without installing MCNive to the hard disk.

These are the basic steps to start from a clean Mandriva 2007.1 Spring installation and make it ready to build a live cd out of it with the mklivecd scripts. This works only with 2007.1, not with an earlier version, not with cooker.

You need the MCNLive Toronto CD in order to copy some files.

* Install 2007.1 Spring on one / partition, no extra /home partition. A swap partition is handy. Be sure you have installed all drakxtools and drakconf (the MCC). The drakxtools take care of the hardware detection. Be sure to install the standard kernel or the standard legacy kernel, or the official updated kernel. A kernel from contrib won't work.

* Add the software sources main and contrib

* urpmi mklivecd

(this will install the broken mklivecd scripts from /contrib and install all dependencies.)

* Replace all mklivecd scripts, just copy those from Toronto over to your installed system: :

/usr/sbin/mklivecd

/usr/sbin/hwdetect

/usr/share/mklivecd/*

* Copy /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt from Toronto to your installed system

* Install draklive-install and replace the draklive-install script with the one from Toronto

* Download this syslinux packagage and install it:

http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/mcnl/sy...2007.1.i586.rpm

(it is a non-patched syslinux package with the vesa menu feature)

* Copy the file /usr/lib/syslinux/flash.jpg from Toronto to the main /usr/lib/syslinux/

or create your own isolinux boot background, it is a normal 640x480 jpg file.

* If you want the special MCNLive scripts then copy everything from /usr/local/bin over, and install the dependencies: zenity, bc

Edit /etc/mtools.conf and add:

MTOOLS_SKIP_CHECK=1

To create an iso start a terminal window, su to root and run: mklivecd myown.iso

More options for mklivecd: mklivecd --help

The whole shebang how to use mklivecd, also with older Mandrake/Mandriva versions:

www.mcnlive.org/howto_en.htm.

• 1 month later...

Hi chris:b I am new to this forum and could do with a little help. I am familiar with Linux - but no genius. Still finding my way around. I was reading your above post and thought "what a good idea". I tried to follow your instructions - but me not being a genius couldn't get any where.

If I am supposed to copy files from Toronto livecd, then I will have to install it? If you download the Toronto iso and burn it to cd then you can easily get at the files. My problem is that there are no files that you talk about, that is why I assume that one must install Toronto livecd?

I thought it would be nice to make a livecd of the Powerpack+ 2007.1 version - or should I say dvd.

My other question - if you don't mind me adding it here instead of starting a new thread is I have Powerpack+ as mentioned and would like to create a new dvd with the latest updates included - as to create a new updated powerpack 2007.1.

Creating the bootable dvd isn't a problem. Mandriva give us all the required boot images. My problem is how to include the new packages - replacing the old ones and update the hdlists/synthesis lists, so that the installer doesn't go crazy.

I think that is all for now. Want to give you time to digest everything. Would appreciate some help if you can:

bookie

Hi bookie, welcome!

My other question - if you don't mind me adding it here instead of starting a new thread is I have Powerpack+ as mentioned and would like to create a new dvd with the latest updates included - as to create a new updated powerpack 2007.1.

I think that you want something else than what MCNLive is about.

You want to create a new Powerpack DVD with the updated packages included, yes?

That would be an installation distro DVD. And I have no idea how to do this. You need to be real expert to do this, I guess.

A Live CD is something completely different.

If I am supposed to copy files from Toronto livecd, then I will have to install it? If you download the Toronto iso and burn it to cd then you can easily get at the files. My problem is that there are no files that you talk about, that is why I assume that one must install Toronto livecd?

Do you know how to burn an iso?

---------->

May I ask you to open a new topic here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showforum=54

Thanks for replying chris:b OK you can't help me with creating a new version of powerpack+ , but you can certainly help me with the live cd?

If I run a few things by you, you can tell me yes or know?

Do I understand you correctly that to make this live cd I should do a normal install of powerpack+ but without adding updates or a home partition?

I have already burned MCN live Toronto.iso onto a cd. How do I transfer the files from the cd to the computer exchanging them with the ones you mentioned?

When you boot the MCN live Toronto.iso you are given a few choices as to how you would like to proceed. For the ease of exchanging files - would it be best to install the cd on the hard drive?

Creating a live cd/dvd is an interesting idea. Many of the distros have that choice now, so it would be nice to create one of powerpack.

bookie

bookie, I certainly can help you, but we are here in the wrong forum section.

May I ask you again to open a new topic? Just copy and paste your questions. It is very easy to make your own live cd, based on MCNLive.

I will answer your questions in the new topic. :-)

I have already burned MCN live Toronto.iso onto a cd. How do I transfer the files from the cd to the computer exchanging them with the ones you mentioned?

You do not need to install toronto. If you have the toronto iso on your system ( let me assume youcalled it Toronto.iso) you just need to do the following as root

mkdir /mnt/toront

mount Toronto.iso /mnt/toronto -o loop

mkdir /mnt/toront-files

mount /mnt/toronto/livecd.sqfs /mnt/toronto-files -o loop -t squashfs

Now you will have the full set of files from the livecd under /mnt/toronto-files

You will be able to copy the relevant files from the appropriate place under /mnt/toronto-files

If you mount the CD onto /mnt/cdrom, then again you can loop mount the livecd.sqfs as above and get the files.

• 1 month later...
bookie, I certainly can help you, but we are here in the wrong forum section.

May I ask you again to open a new topic? Just copy and paste your questions. It is very easy to make your own live cd, based on MCNLive.

I will answer your questions in the new topic. :-)

Hi,

I´m a new user of this forum and I´m a new user of MCNLive. Mandriva is my favorite distro since it was Mandrake. I have doubts about how to remaster the Toronto compilation. I´m from Brazil and I want to put packages in pt_br language and add some other packages(hugs, swi-prolog, etc.). Fisrt of all, is the correct forum for these questions? If no, what is the correct?

Thanks in advance,

ph::wg

Fisrt of all, is the correct forum for these questions? If no, what is the correct?

This thread was about the non-MCNLive method.

The easy way to remaster MCNLive Toronto. Boot the Live CD. While you are in live mode, add all packages and localization rpm"s you need.

Switch in MCC to your locale. In the KDE Control Center switch as well. Make all other changes you want.

Now start the remaster live wizard, in the menu: MCNLive. - Everything is done running live, NO installation to HD needed.

It will build a new iso and store it on a hard disk partition.

• 9 months later...
Guest trailboss

How can I make my own OS as Chris did? Do I just get the base core and start adding the apps I want? If yes, where is the base?

thanks

Trailboss

How can I make my own OS as Chris did? Do I just get the base core and start adding the apps I want? If yes, where is the base?

thanks

Trailboss

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/

is a good place to start

if you just want to get your feet wet with a cool little project check out

http://www.nimblex.net/

its a really cool "roll your own" distro that allows you to "walk through" a series of web screens and "build your own version. I THINK they use slax as their core.

its a really good place to build a specialized disk.

i built a rescue CD that has saved me several times

j

BTW the LFS is a LOT of infoprmation, but when you consider what it is that youre doing you will be AMAZED at the amunt of information that they will be giving you for FREE!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.