No USB support when installing 2007.1

jethro

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install Mandriva 2007.1 on a new Dell Dimension 9200. I checked the md5sum of the DVD I downloaded from ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/...ial/iso/2007.1/ and it was fine. My PC succesfully boots from the DVD. After booting from the DVD I am presented with a menu which asks me if I want to boot from HD, if I want to install Mandriva 2007.1 or if I want to perform a rescue operation. However, in this menu I can not use my USB keyboard to navigate through the options. This results in automatically booting from my HD after 30 seconds or so. I use a standard USB keyboard from dell. The PC does not have PS2 connection options, so I can only use USB. How can I make this work?

Best regards,

Jethro Borsje

I guess your BIOS does have a "legacy USB" option present, right? Just enable it before booting from DVD.
I already looked for such a thing, but I can not seem to find it.

By the way: I am trying to instal the x86_64 version for my 64bit CPU.

When you can't find a BIOS setting that enables the USB in this early stage, the only option i see is to install from MDV One or from MCNLive, or maye from the boot.iso - I am not sure what the default boot is on the boot iso.

When you are planning to set up a dual boot, the real problem will start after the installation. You won't be able to choose on the bootloader screen if the BIOS has a problem to see the usb keyboard.

//another reason not to buy a DELL PC

Edited by chris:b

I already managed to install it from the One Live CD, and then the USB works fine in the grub bootloader. That's the weird thing...

:o

Any grub/bootloader expert around? How is it possible?

And what is your remaining problem? You managed to install it. :-)

:o

Any grub/bootloader expert around? How is it possible?

And what is your remaining problem? You managed to install it. :-)

Well, in the first place I am interested as to how this is possible, because now that I think about it the problem is even weirder: I managed to install the Mandriva 2007.1 One Live CD, my USB keyboard works fine in grub afterwards. When I then try to install Mandriva 2007.1 from DVD, my USB keyboard does NOT work in the resulting booted screen, as a result of this the grub on my HD is started. The weird thing is that my USB keyboard does now does NOT work in grub. So basically it works in grub when I grub is started directly, however, when it is started after I tried to boot from DVD, the USB keyboard does NOT work.

Besides that, when I install from DVD I have the nice option of configuring exactly what I want to install. I know I can add / remove packages after the Live CD install, but I feel it is nicer to do it from DVD.

The bios of newer computers controls usb. Since Linux uses the bios, usb is active from the start. Older machines might have a problem, but it is all a hardware issue. Either your bios is poorly written or it has an issue and I would be tempted to flash it. Check with Dell for updates. But, this is all a hardware issue, not software.

I have the same problem trying to install Mandriva Spring 2007 from a DVD.

My PC only has USB keyboard and mouse. No choice of using an older keyboard as there is no port. The DVD boots to the menu of "hard drive" or "install" ... but since it refuses to accept the keyboard there is no choice, it defaults to the hard drive (GRUB) which then boots Ubuntu and the keyboard is fine. With Ubuntu and Fedora7 I had so such issue. Just Mandriva. I have a hard time believing this is a "hardware" problem since it's unique to Mandriva.

Any cheat-codes to get Mandriva to use the USB keyboard to allow install? Does another iso download accept USB keyboards?

My PC is a new Dell-Ubuntu E520N. I've installed Ubuntu again from DVD and Fedora from DVD with no problems.

Thanks chris:b

I downloaded Mandriva One 2007 CD and was able to install to the hard drive.

When the CD boots it does not allow the USB keyboard but defaults to "Install" so it works.

I was disheartened to see that Mandriva says it is a Dell BIOS Bug.

So I checked some Installation and LiveCDs I had close by.

The following are NOT affected by the Dell BIOS Bug, they boot with the USB keyboard enabled:

Ubuntu 7.04

Xubuntu 6.10

Fedora 7

Fedora Core 6

SysRescueCD 0.3.5

CentOS 4.4

Mephis 6.0

Vector Linux 5.1.1

Gentoo Linux 2006.1

Debian GNU/Linux 4.0

LinuxMint 3.0

Knoppix 5.0

Kaella-Knoppix 3.1

CAE Linux Beta 3a

DSL 3.01 (Damn Small Linux)

dyne:bolic 2.4.2

LLGP (Games) 0.1

But Mandriva is not alone. The following ARE affected by the Dell BIOS bug:

PCLinuxOS 2007 (based on Mandriva)

SuSE 10.2

Interesting... SuSE and Mandriva have a very similar graphics boot in GRUB too. I won't pursue it but I wonder if remastering the CD without the stylish graphics might just work...

Once Mandriva is installed though GRUB functions fine, the USB keyboard is enabled.

Both Suse and MDV 2007.1 use the Novel/Suse gfxboot patch, and I guess pclinux uses the same gfxboot.

The others don't, they use either grub for cd/dvd booting or a clean unpatched syslinux (Fedora 7).

rambutan: do you have a download limit with your ISP?

If not would you be willing to do a test?

Download the MCNLive Toronto iso, which is the same Mandriva 2007.1 Spring version, but with the syslinux cd bootloader:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=41599

It also has a keyboard navigation menu. If it works with your keyboard, then we would know more.

It should have the same problem, though.

Edited by chris:b

:) Problem Solved :)

Since the bug affects both SuSE and Mandriva I went to the SuSE forums for help. The problem is discussed there too of course.

The solution: Hold down the shift key!

After the Dell splash screen leaves press and hold the Shift key in.

After a while the PC asks?

Load boot graphics y/n? y

Tell it NO n N

Then it looks like you'll be doing a text based install. It spills some text to the screen and prompts available options, one is to install type in "linux" at the boot: prompt.

so boot: linux.

Next you're in the graphics install with a functioning keyboard and mouse.

chris:b was right it is something with gfxboot, but gfxboot provides a way around the problem.

use text not graphics to choose the menu options, but continue with graphics for install.