Socket 775 Motherboards, 32Bit or 64Bit?

Pepse

I want to get a newer Intel chipset mobo. When looking ot boards on Ebay I have noticed that socket 478 and skt 775 are very similar as to CPU types and speeds. But it looks like skt 775 are 64 bit mobo's. If that is true and I bought one what kind of problems would I have when connecting my MDV 2007.0 powerpack 32 bit hard drive? Would I have to erase the 32 bit stuff or would I be able to just put the DVD in and "Upgrade" from 32 bit to 64 bit? Of corse if I have to wipe my HDD again I'll be better off with a 478 board.

Later. Pepse.

Socket 775 can support 32 and 64 bit processors. It is the processor that decides whether it's a 32 bit system or a 64 bit system, not the motherboard or socket type.

Also, you can run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit processor, so you should have no problems running your 32 bit install on the system (in fact, most people suggest not running a 64 bit OS at this point). Other than problems from changing the motherboard chipset, but Mandriva should detect and take care of that for you.

Well, that sounds good enough to me. At least going with the skt 775 board I'll have something a little bit more modern, and somewhat upgradeable.

And at least it shouldn't interfere with my 32 bit hard drive.

Later. Pepse.

Probably a hard drive with a 32-bit system installed.
That's how I read it. I think the confusion is in the way you read it:
If that is true and I bought one what kind of problems would I have when connecting my MDV 2007.0 powerpack 32 bit hard drive
I read the red part as being a description of the OS, not the hard drive. Seemed logical to me.